• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Pay It Forward

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, nobody wants these lights?? I thought for sure one of our more ambitious members would grab these...Did I miss something?
Patience is the best remedy for every trouble. Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC)

You posted the lights only a few days a go, give it some time; not everyone visits the Forum or this 'different' thread every day. This is quite a generous item to PIF.

You posted the lights only a few days a go, give it some time...
Good point. I just think this is such a great idea/thread and I didn't want to kill it by putting up something that nobody wanted. I guess this is something that's going to take a bit of a commitment time-wise to get installed...
blushing.gif

Yeah, don't sweat it..... My jacket PIF took quite some time for someone to snap up, but that was far less generous then what you are offering...

I damn sure wish that I knew how to install those lights. I'd love to have them on my bike, for sure. Alas... my mechanical talents are limited to general maintenance type stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here...I really like those lights, but I don't know how to install them, and don't know that I feel like trying to tackle that endeavor. Figured I'd let them go to someone else that would have an easier time...

Same here...I really like those lights, but I don't know how to install them, and don't know that I feel like trying to tackle that endeavor. Figured I'd let them go to someone else that would have an easier time...
Well, you're only 450 miles from me. Ride up here, bring a 6 pack, and we'll get them installed
laugh.png
. The hardest part of an HID install is finding room in the fairing for all the parts.

Well, you're only 450 miles from me. Ride up here, bring a 6 pack, and we'll get them installed
laugh.png
. The hardest part of an HID install is finding room in the fairing for all the parts.
Seriously, that being the case, I can ride up in two weeks. Not this weekend, but next...As long as the weather holds out. I have a really nice Cortech jacket I don't wear that would make a nice PIF for someone.

You would have to tell me what I would need to bring...Besides beer. I'm expecting I need a fuse block and some relays. I've been meaning to get a fuse block, but have just been too lazy to do it.

laugh.png
Seriously, that being the case, I can ride up in two weeks. Not this weekend, but next...As long as the weather holds out. I have a really nice Cortech jacket I don't wear that would make a nice PIF for someone.

You would have to tell me what I would need to bring...Besides beer. I'm expecting I need a fuse block and some relays. I've been meaning to get a fuse block, but have just been too lazy to do it.

I'll have to double check my schedule, but I think the following weekend would be good.

SCB - Any chance we can get a picture of all the parts in the kit? Does that kit include the relays like the McCulloch kit? And is that a high/low kit or just a low? Shouldn't need much at all if the kit has relays. I have tons of connectors and wire and stuff here.

HRZ there is nothing to installing those HIDs. I have had them on my bike for 3 years. Those lights use the very small G4 ballasts which will easily fit into the fairing next to the glove box and battery, or up in the nose cone. They only require a battery connection and ground, then have plug and play connectors that fit the H4 plugs on your lights. The bulbs are a straight replacement of the halogen bulbs, but they throw 3200 lumens each...about three times brighter than the best halogen. Just be sure to aim the beam and you and other drivers will be happy.

My problem is, I have never had my nosecone off. Hell, so far, I haven't even replaced a headlight. However, with Justin's help, I think I can swing it...

If its as easy as you say and as convenient, that will be sweet!

SCB - Any chance we can get a picture of all the parts in the kit? Does that kit include the relays like the McCulloch kit? And is that a high/low kit or just a low? Shouldn't need much at all if the kit has relays. I have tons of connectors and wire and stuff here.
Working on pics...

As far as I remember the kit does include a relay, ballasts and wiring harness. I believe it is both high and low beam. And I think the stock headlight wiring remains in the bike so if a bulb goes out on the road you just remove the dead HID bulb, install your spare stock bulb, plug the stock connector back into it and off you go.

My problem is, I have never had my nosecone off. Hell, so far, I haven't even replaced a headlight. However, with Justin's help, I think I can swing it...
That's a long ride to get your headlights swapped out :) . But, if you make the ride I'm happy to help out. And heck, there's nothing wrong with a long ride :) . Might be a little chilly in a few weekends though :lol:

OK, let me try a couple more pics...

The ballasts. Pretty small.

https://s1266.photobucket.com/user/Butlerplan/media/HID2003.jpg.html

The wiring harness with relay and connectors...

https://s1266.photobucket.com/user/Butlerplan/media/HID2004.jpg.html

Normal sized bulbs...

https://s1266.photobucket.com/user/Butlerplan/media/HID2002.jpg.html

Comes with complete instructions...in Chinese of course...

...but also English on the other side of the page!

https://s1266.photobucket.com/user/Butlerplan/media/HID2005.jpg.html

Hope that all came through!

Thanks SCB. It appears the big box is not a relay, but the solenoid or whatever you call it that controls the shutters in the Hi/lo H4 HID's. Looks simple enough to install though.

And, I don't think relays are needed on the FJR anyway, as the headlights are already relayed - and the HID's don't pull any more power than the stock bulbs, other than when they ignite.

Nothing like seeing the butt of a cat 5 miles out.
I hope you boys can pull off the install, pictures or it didn't happen.
Yeah...That'd be nice. Especially with some of the night time stunts I have pulled off here. I actually have a set of the Osrams I was gonna install when an OEM finally ate it. BTW...I'm not afraid of the cats. It's the dammed deer, antelope, bears, coyotes, big horn sheep, elk and cattle that stress me out.
That's a long ride to get your headlights swapped out :) . But, if you make the ride I'm happy to help out. And heck, there's nothing wrong with a long ride :) . Might be a little chilly in a few weekends though :lol:
Yeah, a trip up there is gonna cost me what buying a set prolly would, but that's better than having a set sitting in my garage. Lol. And...I can wait till spring. There's no rush. 450 miles out here is only a 6 hour ride...
What the Hell...I'll take them. I'll either ride to CO or figure it out. If for some reason, it don't work out, I'll just PIF them to someone else.

Yeah, a trip up there is gonna cost me what buying a set prolly would, but that's better than having a set sitting in my garage. Lol. And...I can wait till spring. There's no rush. 450 miles out here is only a 6 hour ride...
And you can take the nice roads on the way up when it's warm :thumbsup: - And on the way back you'll be able to see things at night :lol:

Photo assist!!

OK, let me try a couple more pics...

The ballasts. Pretty small.

HID2003.jpg

The wiring harness with relay and connectors...

HID2004.jpg

Normal sized bulbs...

Comes with complete instructions...in Chinese of course...
...but also English on the other side of the page!

Hope that all came through!
I have some similar units

The black box in the second photo is both the relay unit for switching power and provides the control signals for the High/Low beam solenoids. The power for the lights is derived directly from the battery through the inline fuse you see in that photo. The 3 prong plug that plugs into either of the two stock headlight connectors is just used as a trigger signals for the relays in the box.

The solenoids give you high/low beam by moving the HID capsule in and out to change the focal point of the beam, same as when using the two filaments in an H4 halogen bulb. Only problem is that I cannot see all of the connectors on either the bulbs or the harness to confirm that this is the case. These could be "low beam only" with no solenoids