Rolling Colorado Rockies FJR Ride July 22-26, 2013; bag the high passes; Estes Park, Leadville, Gunnison & Silverton overnights; no rally fees - FUN!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very Nice Colorado Ride Video of HotRodZilla, BikerGeek99, Don Carver, Old Michael, Wheatie and Bokerfork riding their Harley Hogs over Wolf Creek Pass on Highway 160:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Nice Colorado Ride Video of HotRodZilla, BikerGeek99, Don Carver, Old Michael, Wheatie and Bokerfork riding their Harley Hogs over Wolf Creek Pass on Highway 160:

So the construction at Wolf Creek is done? The road is now fixed ruined and only fun on a Harley?
smile.png

PICT0065.JPG

S76 was with me on this Trillion Dollar Highway in 2010 chasing a rain storm to Ouray. Don't try this at home kids (taking picture while tooling down a wet mountain road).

I haven't been disappointed with any of the routes here that I've ridden: https://www.motorcyclecolorado.com
They don't list Trough Rd between CO9 and CO131. It looks like well maintained gravel and I've never been on it. Does anyone know if it would be a good road to slide around on an FJR without loosing any tooth fillings from bumps?

Google map possible Tuesday to Leadville
I didn't say it was a complete list, just one with some good options ;)

I don't ride too much north of I-70, so I'm not sure what that section would be like

I haven't been disappointed with any of the routes here that I've ridden: https://www.motorcyclecolorado.com
They don't list Trough Rd between CO9 and CO131. It looks like well maintained gravel and I've never been on it. Does anyone know if it would be a good road to slide around on an FJR without loosing any tooth fillings from bumps?
Google map possible Tuesday to Leadville
I didn't say it was a complete list, just one with some good options
wink.png

I don't ride too much north of I-70, so I'm not sure what that section would be like
I think I'd better take it out of my route. It follows the Colorado River and looks great on google map up close, but it would depend on the last time a grader went by.

I was stationed Fort Carson 1980-1982 and used to ride the hills on this xs850

rmnp.jpg

With family conflicts, we've had to bag attending CFR in Ontario this summer, but we would like to be part of your rolling C-F Don.

Riding Colorado Rocky Mountain High be our favouritist state!

With family conflicts, we've had to bag attending CFR in Ontario this summer, but we would like to be part of your rolling C-F Don.

Dave and Sylvia, Very glad to hear that you Frostbacks can attend the Colorado Rolling FJR Clusterfuck, as our WheatonFJR calls it!

Can never have too many Canucks at these events, you drunken Hosers make us Gringos look like Choirboys eh! jes' sayin' and nuf' said!

Sorry you've had to bag CFR...but be sure to wave at Louaane and I as we pass in the opposite direction between Gunnison and Ouray, as we wind our way back from the Utah canyonlands...

Hi-viz Oly jackets, black mesh pants, silver '04...rider with the OM special...yellow Helmet

Sorry you've had to bag CFR...but be sure to wave at Louaane and I as we pass in the opposite direction between Gunnison and Ouray, as we wind our way back from the Utah canyonlands...

Hi-viz Oly jackets, black mesh pants, silver '04...rider with the OM special...yellow Helmet; wearing a pink Tu-tu, with matching feather boa!
Fixed.

Hi-viz Oly jackets, black mesh pants, silver '04...rider with the OM special...yellow Helmet; wearing a pink Tu-tu, with matching feather boa!
Fixed.
How'd you know I was fixed? You weren't there...please tell me you weren't.

Hi-viz Oly jackets, black mesh pants, silver '04...rider with the OM special...yellow Helmet
Hey Buckwheat, stay in touch with me by phone or email and we possibly can route so we can meet you and Louaane for lunch, we'll definitely be riding the Gunnison to Ouray road.

Hey Buckwheat, stay in touch with me by phone or email and we possibly can route so we can meet you and Louanne for lunch, we'll definitely be riding the Gunnison to Ouray road.
I'll definitely keep in touch via phone while we're on our trip. I don't know if our schedules will match up for a lunch meet or not, but if it works out that would be great to catch up with you guys. We'll be getting a lazy start from Ouray the morning you guys leave from Gunnison to head west and south...we may linger awhile that morning at the hot springs pool in town.

Hey Buckwheat, stay in touch with me by phone or email and we possibly can route so we can meet you and Louanne for lunch, we'll definitely be riding the Gunnison to Ouray road.
I'll definitely keep in touch via phone while we're on our trip. I don't know if our schedules will match up for a lunch meet or not, but if it works out that would be great to catch up with you guys. We'll be getting a lazy start from Ouray the morning you guys leave from Gunnison to head west and south...we may linger awhile that morning at the hot springs pool in town.
Sounds Great Mark, you know our Bokerfork just loves lounging naked in the hot springs at Ouray, Colorado; so does Old Michael, and naturally HotRodZilla is UP for it also!

Listen Don...I may have my wife with me, so you and that perv OM will have to keep the groping amongst yourselves. Her and I may decide to go 60% hippie and just lounge around naked in the springs. Remember...I'm 20 years younger than you. Being UP is never a problem.

I say we'll be 60% hippie because although we might be nude, shaving is still a requirement, and as always, I'll be loaded for bear. So don't get any funny ideas!

Actually...We oughta invite Bust. Fuker could use a bath.

Listen Don...I may have my wife with me, so you and that perv OM will have to keep the groping amongst yourselves. Her and I may decide to go 60% hippie and just lounge around naked in the springs. Remember...I'm 20 years younger than you. Being UP is never a problem.

I say we'll be 60% hippie because although we might be nude, shaving is still a requirement, and as always, I'll be loaded for bear. So don't get any funny ideas!

Actually...We oughta invite Bust. Fuker could use a bath.
1) OK

2) OK

3) You're not kidding about Bust needing a bath, I'm still trying to scrub the stink off of Miss Lucy Liu FJR after he rode her to OR and back!

Doubtful I'd be able to get the time off work for this, but I could meet up with you guys in Estes for dinner.
SaharaJp99 I'm really glad you posted up, I need help finding an inexpensive place to stay either in Estes Park or east of EP. I started searching at Expedia and Hotels.com for Estes Park and I cannot find lodgings for less than $150 a night.

When I started planning the FJR Forum Rolling Rockies Ride Clusterfuck I set a nightly limit of $75 a night for our motels. I can hit that mark in Leadville, Gunnison and Durango, but I am stuck at that $150 a night in Estes Park, Colorado.

Any $75 a night motels within 50 miles east of Estes Park that you can suggest would be great. Loveland and Longmont are not scenic by any means, but if we can get $75 a night hotels there we will move to either one of those CO cities.

https://estesparkkoa.com/home.htf?Ux=w3UVXM664Pe4512026L7V18MKb&Sx=267032x9vj3a9&PChoice=Rates2013&SChoice=spx NOTE: I did see that the Estes Park KOA has Kamping Kabins and Cottages available. But we would have to sleep in our clothes or bring along a sleeping bag. After my fifth Bushmill's Irish Whiskey and my third Guinness Stout for the evening I can sleep just fine like a baby in my Frank Thomas Motorcycle Riding Suit (complete with my full coverage helmet)! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

I can sleep just fine like a baby in my Frank Thomas Motorcycle Riding Suit (complete with my full coverage helmet)! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Sure, but it still isn't enough to protect you from certain Burro lovers lurking about.

They do love a challenge.