Rolling Colorado Rockies FJR Ride July 22-26, 2013; bag the high passes; Estes Park, Leadville, Gunnison & Silverton overnights; no rally fees - FUN!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can sleep just fine like a baby in my Frank Thomas Motorcycle Riding Suit (complete with my full coverage helmet)! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Sure, but it still isn't enough to protect you from certain Burro lovers lurking about.

They do love a challenge.
Marky-Mark, if I'm rooming with Bustanut joker and HotRodZilla I always add a sheet of 16 gauge metal to the back of my pants before I fall asleep and duct tape my mouth shut!

A guy I ride with has family on Estes Park. I just sent him a message. He knows that area well...
Muchas Gracias, AJ! 'Zilla just called me and he's working on our Estes Park lodgings, let's give HRZ a week and see what he can work out for We FJR Forum Clusterfuckers!

Looks like about $119 for the night in Estes park is the best we're gonna do. OR we can stay in Loveland at a Super 8 for around $76...

The one guy is gonna send me group rate info in a bit. I'll post it up once I have it.

Looks like about $119 for the night in Estes park is the best we're gonna do. OR we can stay in Loveland at a Super 8 for around $76...

The one guy is gonna send me group rate info in a bit. I'll post it up once I have it.
Just a thought...You could stay in Loveland, where it is cheaper, then your first ride towards Estes Park could be in the Thompson River Canyon on US 34. The only place I've ever had slight motion sickness on a motorcycle...not 12 hours after I vowed to my brother-in-law that you don't get motion sickness on a bike. It's a great road...though heavily travelled. Can be negotiated quickly, depending on your averseness to traffic fines.

I still have no idea how that motion sickness happened...but it did, maybe because both canyon walls are so close, who knows. This, from my inlaws in Masonville to Golden along the peak to peak hwy in 2008.

EDIT: I see AJ is trying to help you poor CFs out dollarwise with a group rate deal in Estes. Kudos AJ. Hope it works out for you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,

Yes, lodging in Estes is expensive. There is a La Quinta on the far west edge of Loveland that would probably meet your rate criteria. It is only a couple miles from the start of Big Thompson Canyon, which is a great ride up to Estes especially if you take the Glen Haven cutoff.

Just a thought...You could stay in Loveland, where it is cheaper, then your first ride towards Estes Park could be in the Thompson River Canyon on US 34. The only place I've ever had slight motion sickness on a motorcycle...not 12 hours after I vowed to my brother-in-law that you don't get motion sickness on a bike. It's a great road...though heavily travelled. Can be negotiated quickly, depending on your averseness to traffic fines.

I still have no idea how that motion sickness happened...but it did, maybe because both canyon walls are so close, who knows. This, from my inlaws in Masonville to Golden along the peak to peak hwy in 2008.

EDIT: I see AJ is trying to help you poor CFs out dollarwise with a group rate deal in Estes. Kudos AJ. Hope it works out for you guys.
I think you and Sahara are onto something. The rates in Loveland were much cheaper. I think Don is just shooting for having a nice area to stay on, and Loveland is kinda ugly...You're right about the rides to EP though. Lesse what the group says...

I have a bike that can cross the continent in two days. 24 miles is nothing!!

I think Don is just shooting for having a nice area to stay on, and Loveland is kinda ugly...
No he's not. He's staying in Leadville for crying out loud. He doesn't know what the f*** he is doing.
Yeah, but he's old and sorta senile. I don't wanna aggravate his condition.
Thanks for your kind consideration HotRodZilla, I truly wish you were my illegitimate Bastard Son instead of that unkind and rude SkooterG!

jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

I think Don is just shooting for having a nice area to stay on, and Loveland is kinda ugly...
No he's not. He's staying in Leadville for crying out loud. He doesn't know what the f*** he is doing.
Sorry Skooty Honey, we're not staying in "high end gay bars and weekend spas........!" Many thanks once again to odot for this great quote, good one Ray!

2013 Rolling Colorado FJR Cluster **** Attendance List

Note: If you are going let me know and I'll add you to list.

AZ Beemers:

1) Back Road Bob and Smokeball - Jim M.

2) BeemerDonS and TripperMike (TM is actually a Feejer!)

3) Brian and Melanie Boles

4) Dr. Bob Flanders

5) Mudslide Miller

6) Dave Cooley

7) Bruce Cain and Wing Friend

8) Gerard Gatineau (AZgman) and Kevin McCall (Utah)

FJR Forum:

1) AJ and Carrie

2) Mr Bill

3) Big-D and marcusorelius (Please PM each other on this guys!)

4) escapefjrtist and his Grandfather Niehart

5) Tucson Joe and Cec

6) Bokerfork and Old Michael

7) Dave and Sylvia - FastJoyRide

8) Geezer Greg and Thingfish (Paul)

9) Hudson

Pending:

1) patch308 and his Daughter

Achiu may just have talked me into this. Let me see what kind of Kobe ring this trip would will cost to leave missus Hudson alone with boys terrorists for nine days. Something tells me I'll need to dig deep for this one.

https://slowgroovinbbq.com A little bird told his Papa Chuy Viejo about a lunch spot that we cannot miss stopping at in Marble, Colorado (actually this "little bird" is Bokerfork!).

I actually don't plan on route/ride planning until June, but if you have perfect spots like Slow Groovin' BBQ in mind, please let us know ahead of time in this thread for planning.

https://classic.mapquest.com/maps?city=Marble&state=CO&address=101+W+1st+St&zipcode=81623-9375&country=US&latitude=39.071087&longitude=-107.188253&geocode=ADDRESS

I'm in for the Cluster. I'll reserve a room later today.

Thingfish is also riding out with me and we'll share a room.