Tyler down in serious condition in Idaho!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twisted ~

Waiting until you get back from Boise sounds like a good plan. There isn't a terrible rush on this, as her road to recovery is going to be a long and laborious one for her. It won't be until she is back at home that she will need the financial help I was thinking about to purchase the added equipment that Silver Penguin was talking about.

I wouldn't be surprised if other groups/forums also come up with something, as well loved as Tyler is throughout the motorcycle community, but it seems to me that trying to coordinate some sort of "Super Fund" would add too much to the complexity of the effort. Your kind offer to step up to the plate as you have is wonderful! It would be easier to disburse funds into either Tyler's, Shannon's or Jaime's hands if the organizer lived close-by in Tyler's home area, but I'm sure such details could be worked out from where you live as well. Thank you for being willing to look into this for her. You da man! :drinks:

Don

Edited to add: I completely agree that Old Michael would make a wonderful spokesman for the effort if he can be "drafted"

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't be surprised if other groups/forums also come up with something, as well loved as Tyler is throughout the motorcycle community, but it seems to me that trying to coordinate some sort of "Super Fund" would add too much to the complexity of the effort.
I understand. I meant that if another group already started something we could contribute. I'm not a huge fan of reinventing the wheel :) I'll get to the bank here in a bit and find out. Might be tricky; while there is a branch here, it's not my "local" branch. I'll see what I can do and how quickly. If I can get the account set up and I don't need it I can always close it.

I wouldn't be surprised if other groups/forums also come up with something, as well loved as Tyler is throughout the motorcycle community, but it seems to me that trying to coordinate some sort of "Super Fund" would add too much to the complexity of the effort.
I understand. I meant that if another group already started something we could contribute. I'm not a huge fan of reinventing the wheel :) I'll get to the bank here in a bit and find out. Might be tricky; while there is a branch here, it's not my "local" branch. I'll see what I can do and how quickly. If I can get the account set up and I don't need it I can always close it.
Cool! Just let us know, and I'm in!

Don

Monday, June 29, 2009 12:09 PM, MDT

GO TY!! More good news this morning...her lungs look better in the x-rays, and they've been able to decrease the oxygen mix to 40%. They're still rollin' her around on her queen bed (Shannon calls it the Tilt-a-Whirl - you can ask her the whole story when you see her next...) and they've increased the angle at which they prop her up to further facilitate drainage towards the center.

The nurse told us the skin trauma on her legs, in her opinion, really needs debradement (scrubbing) and assessment for grafting sooner rather than later, so she has called all involved parties (transport coordinater, Ty's trauma doc, etc.) & firmly advocated for getting Ty out to UCSF sooner rather than later, reminding the other staff that Tyler has a daughter & lots of family & support out there and so should be there. (This nurse is a great gal - her name is Andrea & she's been just wonderful with Tyler, as have all the rest of Ty's nursing staff. Not one Nurse Ratchet yet - woohoo!) Shockingly, we have way more plastic surgeons in California than Idaho (I know! whodathunkit!?) and they don't have the resources here to take care of that part of Ty's injuries, so that's the reason for the push to get her back home-ish.

Many of you have inquired re: financial concerns, graciously offering fundraising efforts, advice & services. I spoke with her employer yesterday, and he was incredibly supportive and reassuring. He followed up with an email telling us not to worry re: financial and employment issues. I did email him re: vacation/medical leave time so we can stay on top of getting her signed up for disability when necessary. Beyond that, my focus for now is getting her stable and out of ICU, then we'll worry about all the material stuff.

Also, there have been many kind offers already to throw down for Team Tyler & cook, clean, drive, massage (you know who you are :) and all other manner of assistance. I expect that, due to her injuries, Ty will have to stay in an extended care facility for quite some time after release from the hospital (I could be wrong, and frankly would love to be) so it may be some time before we hit you all up for the home-cooked meals, but standby to standby and we'll enlist you when the time comes.

The outpouring of warmth, love and offers to help have been overwhelming. (I know, broken record time again. :) Thank you again.

Shannon's flying home this afternoon and Ty's other sister Cynthia will be arriving tomorrow or the day after. We're sort of playing it by ear since we're not sure when they'll up & move her. I'm told that can kind of happen all of a sudden when a bed opens up, so we'll continue to make sure there's always a family member here with her to accompany her on her "private jet" back to the homeland. (She's gonna be majorly in the hole for carbon credits when all is said & done!) When I know more re: her travel plans, I'll post them here. I'll post again later this evening regardless.

-Jaime

PS. Special thanks to Dave H. from the BARF forum who lives here in Idaho and came by to convey his thoughts and support for Ty, even dropping off a stack of old motorcycle mags for Ty when she can read them. And Rocket is perusing them now. :) ICU gets a little boring for 17-year-olds, ya know.

I just read the news of the accident and it's truly horrible.

The post above sounds like things may be getting better; thank God.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family, Tyler.

I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

-Iris

Just read the latest update and it all sounds good. Oxygen down to 40% from 60% is great news. Plans to relocate to where plastic surgery is an everyday thing are good news, especially when that means closer to home.

I feel a road trip coming on, once Tyler is either home or in a long term care facility.

Tyler, I don't know you but it don't matter...anyone on the Forum is a friend. Sending wishes and prayers for a fast recovery, and when you get back on a bike (and you will), c'mon up to the PNW and let the PNW crew take you out for a proper pie.

page3_blog_entry0_3.jpg

Just read the latest update and it all sounds good. Oxygen down to 40% from 60% is great news. Plans to relocate to where plastic surgery is an everyday thing are good news, especially when that means closer to home.
I feel a road trip coming on, once Tyler is either home or in a long term care facility.

I have a bank account I dont use much (in fact never) at a seperate bank..

Let me look into setting up paypal for her.. will work on it now

I have a bank account I dont use much (in fact never) at a seperate bank..

Let me look into setting up paypal for her.. will work on it now
Let me know. I currently don't have the "minimum" funds available (and still be able to ride home). :(

Monday, June 29, 2009 5:47 PM, MDT

Hi folks. Just a quick update to clarify a few things that seem to be recurring themes in emailed questions I'm getting.

Blood donations: Ty is no longer in need of blood at this time, but did need massive transfusions right after the accident. So our request for donations is a general one to ensure the blood is there in the bank for other individuals when the need arises, as it was for Tyler thanks to the thoughtfulness of others.

$$$: I am still in awe of the unbelievable generosity of Tyler's employer - here is what he said: "Regarding Tyler’s vacation / sick leave balance—it is irrelevant because the firm will make sure Tyler continues to receive her normal monthly take home pay for as long as she is in recovery. Whatever portion of her income disability (and/or the trucking company’s liability) insurance doesn’t cover, the firm will make up the deficiency while she’s recovering. The last thing Tyler needs right now is to be worrying about finances." Yet another angel in this journey. Unreal, especially in these economic times. Once we get her settled at UCSF, I'll be able to turn more attention to financial status, fundraising, etc. Right now my focus is on her stabilizing and healing.

-Jaime

Hi, I’m new here to the forum and I hate to see a fellow rider go down. From what I have read on this thread Tyler must be a dynamic person that is loved by many. I am sending my prayers to Tyler and the family.

Jerry

Many prayers have already gone up for Tyler from the Twisty house.

Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery.

Just a quick "Heads-Up" for those (such as I) who don't always look at the "Pinned" items at the top of this page... There is a recent addition there which speaks to a wonderful effort organized by Cdogman with a PayPal account you can access to make a donation to help defray some of Tyler's inevitible huge costs of this accident.

Just Sayin! ;)

Thanks,

Don

Edited to add: My goodness, Cdogman... just read the latest update, and it's obvious that this excellent group of friends has seen the fund effort and is participating magnificently!

You folks are the real deal! D