What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the new machine is still on the chopping blocks.......

IMG_20150224_102046_zpsr3w9uolu.jpg

couldn't pass up the beautiful unexpected warm weather so just had to take 'Ol blue out for some of the last spins before she moves to the new owner....

Was a wonderful ride with the woman.....

IMG_20150310_182257_zps625a2e3k.jpg

I played with the front seat yesterday. There is no way to position the drivers seat where it is high in the front and low in the back (or vice versa). The two front slots are staggered such that the latch at the back will only catch on the appropriate height slot in the tang.

It's either high or it's low.

Nothing that some good duct tape won't take care of. Have the seat how you want it. Tape that bad boy down when its in position...

...or mebbe not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took Ginger for a 3 hour ride today for the first time in about 3 months. Then when I got home I had to wash her because the roads were wet, sandy and dirty. Man, it felt good getting to ride again!

Color me green Allen!!

I am stuck behind work and my own school. I am truely happy at least someone is getting out there right now!!

We need to start praying for some good weather for ARKANSAS!

Ordered new tires and a used relay arm off of fleebay. Hopefully I will get the oil changed this weekend in hopes of using it again.

Dave

YES, was able to air up the tires, turn the key, instant fire, and ride for the first time in 4 months. Went about 150 miles of sand and salt, but whacking the corners felt SO good. Supposed to be nice again tomorrow, may have to ride for ice cream, and then winter's supposed to show up again. Great to get out again.....ff

Over the past couple days I've installed bar risers, and a pair of them slim PIAA tooter thingies.

This morning took the cage in to have the winter wheels swapped for the mags, (bling!), stopped on the return to get the bike's insurance stickers.

Re-installed the cans on the bike.

Side panels, cowling visors, and windshield to go on, and I'll press the button that makes the magic!

Put one of them handy dandy deer whistles on Jackie-O and loaded the crossbow on the rear rack. Mebbe I'll get lucky................

I used this article and the service manual to replace my fork oil. I did take issue with the way the author (and the service manual BTW) describe re-assembly of the fork leg. It won't work if you follow it to the letter. A step is omitted. But I figured it out.

Also, my forks' oil level is 92 mm per the FSM. That's about 2 1/2 pints of new oil. Not quarts, pints. Hopefully that'll save somebody a few bucks and a little aggravation.

I used this article and the service manual to replace my fork oil. I did take issue with the way the author (and the service manual BTW) describe re-assembly of the fork leg. It won't work if you follow it to the letter. A step is omitted. But I figured it out.
Also, my forks' oil level is 92 mm per the FSM. That's about 2 1/2 pints of new oil. Not quarts, pints. Hopefully that'll save somebody a few bucks and a little aggravation.
So...what step was omitted...and what did you figure out to do? Photos?

EDIT: That article was written by my buddy Mike Carpenter in 2004. Surely you can give us an update.

Calibrated the TPS voltage on my new to me PCV. Did a whopping 36 miles...stilll...wooo. Big difference. Thanks to ahchiu for a smooth deal; my good fortune that it was already mapped for a Gen II and LeoV pipes.

Hey, Cav--I'll make sure you get a good listen from back there...

Calibrated the TPS voltage on my new to me PCV. Did a whopping 36 miles...stilll...wooo. Big difference. Thanks to ahchiu for a smooth deal; my good fortune that it was already mapped for a Gen II and LeoV pipes. Hey, Cav--I'll make sure you get a good listen from back there...
Looking??? forward to hear this?? That doesn't sound right. I see what you are saying. Wait, nevermind.

Hope to get together again soon. We have to make it happen.

So...what step was omitted...and what did you figure out to do? Photos?

EDIT: That article was written by my buddy Mike Carpenter in 2004. Surely you can give us an update.
The article, step 18, says

"18.) Reinstall spring (new spring if so purchased) then the washer. Put on long spacer, nut, screw on fork cap by hand until it bottoms (be sure the nut is not interfering) Unscrew 10-20degrees and tighten nut down."

IMHO it should say

18.) Reinstall spring (new spring if so purchased). NOTE: it goes in a particular way, refer to your factory service manual (or the replacement spring instructions). Then the washer. Put on long spacer and nut. Fully extend the inner tube from the outer tube, along with the inner rod. Screw on the fork cap. (be sure the nut is not interfering). Unscrew 10-20degrees and tighten nut down.

The FSM has a picture of which end is up on the spring, no biggie there. But if you do not fully extend the inner tube before screwing on the fork cap, the fork will be bottomed out and if you try to extend it you just create a vacuum inside and it squishes down again. I extended the inner tube then lifted the weight of the fork leg with it while screwing on the cap.

Found a new friend locally and went over to his house to mount up the new PR4 tire on his No Mar tire changer. The front T30 tire still has some life in it, and I'll wait until the wear bars surface. I got more miles out of the T30 than some others.

Anyway, nice to meet another local rider and get out of the house.

Went up to Caeser's Head...some sand still on the roads up there, so headed back down to the foothills to do some maintenance on the FJRs.

Needs a good rain to wash the sand off the roads...had some fun on the foothills roads on the way back to the homestead.

I tried it with mine. No way to put it high in the front, low in the back. How did you manage this?

Installed an Eastern Beaver fuse box and went for a short ride. Still playing with the seat height. So far I like front high and back low but need a longer ride to be sure.

Rode her in southern Indiana. Was a great 230 miles day, the roads were in surprisingly good condition, but an old lady in a Camry, a chicken and squirrel almost ended the day early. Getting ready for the AR ride...can't wait!

Dropped it against the shed door when it slipped off my centre stand caddy as I was moving through the back door of house to door of shed.
Lucky shed door was there to take weight or else it would have hit the wall and I would be alot worse off.
Minor scrape to front right top cowl,lucky bottom fairings and exhausts were off too.
ohno-smiley02.gif