What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Busted the stator case on a rock curb, then pasted it back together with JB-Weld Steelstik, and rode the Dragon.

Today? Nothing. I did some other stuff and let her rest. Not like she really needed it though. I am always amazed at how eager this bike is to simply haul ass and pile on miles. Rode an SS 1K yesterday in a bid to get home quick. Never even a hiccup. Smooth as glass at 90mph BTW.

However I have decided two items I bought for it have to go. My Cee Bailey tinted reverse flip shield began to piss me off. It is just loud. For me, it sits right where the wind rushes to my helmet. I had to raise my OEM screen to get into that noise. It was quieter when I stood up to rest my ass, which was a lot. So on that last note, the Lamm seat I bought is also going on the block. Just not a fan, but it wasn't made specifically for me. It's a super nice seat, but I just couldn't get comfortable. I'm gonna send my OEM seat to Spencer and see what happens. Then I'm selling the Lamm. After I sell the Cee Bailey, I'll try a CalSci Tinted shorty.

Last edited by a moderator:
However I have decided two items I bought for it have to go. My Cee Bailey tinted reverse flip shield began to piss me off. It is just loud. For me, it sits right where the wind rushes to my helmet. I had to raise my OEM screen to get into that noise. It was quieter when I stood up to rest my ass, which was a lot. So on that last note, the Lamm seat I bought is also going on the block. Just not a fan, but it wasn't made specifically for me. It's a super nice seat, but I just couldn't get comfortable. I'm gonna send my OEM seat to Spencer and see what happens. Then I'm selling the Lamm. After I sell the Cee Bailey, I'll try a CalSci Tinted shorty.
This ^^^ is a prime example of how different each of us really are in spite of our similarities. I STRONGLY recommended that windscreen and that seat to 'Zilla. Pop and I arrived at that combo for his FJR which happens to be the exact same year/color combo as Zilla's. I know 'Zilla, I like, admire and respect him. If he says it is not good, then it ain't good.

A.J., I am sorry I steered you wrong. Please text me a pic of the Cee Bailey if it is the dark tint. Dad's is the light tint and I would like to see how the dark shield looks on the bike. I may take that shield off your hands.

This ^^^ is a prime example of how different each of us really are in spite of our similarities. I STRONGLY recommended that windscreen and that seat to 'Zilla. Pop and I arrived at that combo for his FJR which happens to be the exact same year/color combo as Zilla's. I know 'Zilla, I like, admire and respect him. If he says it is not good, then it ain't good.
A.J., I am sorry I steered you wrong. Please text me a pic of the Cee Bailey if it is the dark tint. Dad's is the light tint and I would like to see how the dark shield looks on the bike. I may take that shield off your hands.
No worries, I have some testing to do. I got to thinking and realized I didn't have a problem with the shield when we went to Utah last year, and haven't had issues with it on short rides around here. My problem with the seat is that it sits an inch or more lower than my OEM seat. I ride my OEM seat in the high position, and this more than negates that. It is VERY scooped out, and in the high position actually sits me lower than the OEM seat in the low position. This was the first long ride I've taken with that seat. Definitely the first time I've been at high speeds for such extended periods of time with it, which is where it all became fatiguing. I was cramped on the bike and that has never happened before. Even my throttle hand hurt from my wrist being tweaked. My Camelbak interfered with my tail-bag, which forced me to switch stuff around. From 2007 to about 2009, I rode with the OEM seat in the low position before I experimented with the high position and realized I liked it. Still, never issues like this.

As I thought about it, I'm wondering if being lowered by the seat caused all the problems. Like I said, the shield seemed fine before. So, I'll put the OEM seat on and go ride with the tinted shield. Then I'll swap shields and see if the ride is significantly better. If the OEM seat and OEM shield don't change much from the OEM seat and Cee Bailey's shield, I will keep the shield. The seat definitely has to go though.

Really, probably not the seat's problem, but mine. Remember, I bought the seat off a Forum member, so it was not made for me. If I had one made, I would specify OEM height, and thinner in the front so I can touch the ground. Issues I didn't realize I would have until after I experimented with stuff. Again, no worries. It is all reversable. I am going to give Spencer a call. I never really had a problem with the OEM seat, so maybe the changes he makes will be exactly what I need.

More to come...

Rode it to work today for the first time in a week. Today's inbound commute was one of the shortest 30 minutes in my entire life.

One more day left on my WeSTOC21 recon trip from Seattle to Grand Junction, CO. 3,545 miles so far over the last 9 days. Should be over 4k miles when I get home tomorrow.

Here's a shot of the bike at Blue Mesa Reservoir.

IMG_3268-1280.jpg

Delkevic 14" stubby exhaust installed. Wow, what a difference over the stock cans. I took the baffles out and it is a lot louder and has a serious growl to her now.

One more day left on my WeSTOC21 recon trip from Seattle to Grand Junction, CO. 3,545 miles so far over the last 9 days. Should be over 4k miles when I get home tomorrow.
Do you have specs on your CB setup somewhere out here?

I rode the Feej to work today. An afternoon full of meetings at another company location meant that I got to slip in a late morning ride. I need to schedule more meetings like that
biggrin.png

I wish my N-com's had CB in addition to the FM capability. For no reason whatsoever other than to pass time on a long run. Between the techspec pads, V47, and tankloc bag, that's almost a blue version of my bike.

Ordered a replacement left side mirror from Part Shark. I scratched mine during a zero speed tip over last month. Thought about leaving it alone, but the red girl is so pretty, I just can't let a blemish go by.

I do have a few minor scratches on the left side saddle bag from the same incident. I may get that painted by Garauld.

Ordered a few minor bits while I was at it. Few drain plug crush washers and of all things, a rubber grommet that inserts into the gas tank and accept the plastic tab from the plastic trim piece that goes on the back of the tank. For whatever reason, mine is missing on one side. Weird.

Here's a shot of the bike at Blue Mesa Reservoir.

IMG_3268-1280.jpg
Thanks for doing the R&D on my 2017.... :)

Ordered a replacement left side mirror from Part Shark. I scratched mine during a zero speed tip over last month. Thought about leaving it alone, but the red girl is so pretty, I just can't let a blemish go by...
Oh man, you were half way to getting a set of FZ1 mirrors which are wildly more functional than the OEM mirrors. :)

Ordered a replacement left side mirror from Part Shark. I scratched mine during a zero speed tip over last month. Thought about leaving it alone, but the red girl is so pretty, I just can't let a blemish go by...
Oh man, you were half way to getting a set of FZ1 mirrors which are wildly more functional than the OEM mirrors.
smile.png
Functional mirrors aren't really needed in some parts of the big ol' US of A..

JS...

smile.png

Oh man, you were half way to getting a set of FZ1 mirrors which are wildly more functional than the OEM mirrors.
smile.png
Functional mirrors aren't really needed in some parts of the big ol' US of A..JS...

smile.png
Hold that thought in mind when you are stopped and can't see the 18 wheeler closing distance behind you and he doesn't notice you are stopped
wink.png
Actually replace 18 wheeler with 18 year old blond intently texting on the phone.

Hold that thought in mind when you are stopped and can't see the 18 wheeler closing distance behind you and he doesn't notice you are stopped
wink.png
Actually replace 18 wheeler with 18 year old blond intently texting on the phone.
Luckily don't have to worry much about those when you ride in BFE, AR...

smile.png

*edit*

Or BFE, LA I reckon.

Mirrors and horns are not needed much down here.

smile.png

Like Wheatie - I find the Gen 3 mirrors much better than the Gen 1.

BFE or not - I need working mirrors. And all of the help I can get....