What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunday went on my first, (and last!), Toy run*

*Charity or no, I will not ever again subject myself to being stuck in the midst of a rolling roadblock composed of a hundred-odd pirates on embarrassingly LOUD bikes :blink:
My wife often asks why I don't do these anymore. I don't mind riding with the pirates so much, I can tolerate it for a few hrs for charity. But for whatever reason the charity rides around here have morphed into bar hopping. I'd rather stay home- fat tattooed sweaty bikers reeking of beer ain't my style.

Then had some expert help mounting them.

RubenRun067.jpg
Expert help?!?!? BWAHAHAHA!!

Looks more like the results of a three-for-one sale at "The Nut Barn." :D

Had a little bit of "Christmas Morning" after work today...

About a month or so back, my rear brake started to get that grind-y, crunch-y sound you get when the pads are worn out. Didn't surprise me much, since they were the much-despised HBC organics that melt like butter...gone in less that 7k miles. At the time, I decided "that's it...no more aftermarket pads for me." So I rang up ronayers.com and ordered up a set of pads for the rear...and decided "just stay off the rear brake" for a while to not damage the rotor.

Yesterday, on the way to work, the front's start grinding and crunching. Great :( now the front pads are gone, too. Get home tonight and decide to "rotate" the fronts to get me a few more days to get a new set of front pads in-hand.

So I yank the pads out. Outside pads are about 99.9% done, with little bits of friction material flaking off. Inside pads are about 99.9% all there! :dribble: Definitely wearing oddly, but the pistons aren't stuck. So I swap inside to out, outside to in, both sides and call it a job done.

WAIT!! I've got the new rear pads and the toolbox is open, so why not swap 'em out?!

Open up my box-o-parts from Ron Ayers and what do I find???

The new rear pads AND a set of new front pads -- and they're OEM Yamaha, not some EBC Vapor-ware. DAYUM...did I order rears AND fronts? I really don't remember, so I pull the fronts (again), slide in the new OEMs, move to the rear and swap the pads there, too.

Total time? 15 minutes, including the first "rotation" job.

You know how you read all the time "new tires make the bike feel brand new"? Well, it works for new brakes, too. Nice, smooth, steady, QUIET stops front and rear. Bike feels brand new again at 70k miles.

Finding a set of OEM front pads when I wasn't expecting them? Priceless!!

That's what I did to my FJR today. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed new to me Motovation Sliders , studied installation of Gorilla cycle alarm , aired up tires for tomorrow- :scooter: ..

Replaced the right side burned out head light bulb. Thanks for the postings and pictures. It really wasn't that bad. I didn't remove any panels, just did the blind feel your way around proceedure. :)

Replaced the right side burned out head light bulb. Thanks for the postings and pictures. It really wasn't that bad. I didn't remove any panels, just did the blind feel your way around proceedure. :)
When I had a bulb burn out I went ahead and replaced both figuring the 2nd wasn't far behind. The used one got wrapped in small bubble wrap and tucked under the seat JIC.

Since Bustanut joker borrowed my Miss Lucy Liu, 2003 GEN1 FJR, for a week to ride up and back from Arizona to Oregon for a week: I have spent all damn morning scrubbing off the vomit, toe jam, smegma, shit ca-ca, herpes, dandruff, bellybutton lint, toilet paper ass wipe balls, sweat, cum, HotRodZilla cum and blood off of Lucy!

7984113933_b6c309bc48_z.jpg

Then had some expert help mounting them.

RubenRun067.jpg
Expert help?!?!? BWAHAHAHA!!

Looks more like the results of a three-for-one sale at "The Nut Barn." :D
Hey RadioHowie, this is the absolutely perfect description of LUCKY! With LUCKY (HotRodZilla) being the middle man in a three man butt ****! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Since Bustanut joker borrowed my Miss Lucy Liu, 2003 GEN1 FJR, for a week to ride up and back from Arizona to Oregon for a week: I have spent all damn morning scrubbing off the vomit, toe jam, smegma, shit ca-ca, herpes, dandruff, bellybutton lint, toilet paper ass wipe balls, sweat, cum, HotRodZilla cum and blood off of Lucy!

That's a lie Don and you know it. Barry told me you made him wash your bike...and wear a thong. You're S-I-C-K!!

That's a lie Don and you know it. Barry told me you made him wash your bike...and wear a thong. You're S-I-C-K!!
All right AJ you caught me in a Dog Pile Friday fib, but it was a loincloth not a thong damnit!

Finally got all my maintenance and farkles installed prior to my 8 day trip next week.

New PR2 on rear, final drive and oil changed, and all the dry parts lubed (brake and shift pivots, kickstand, susp. and etc)

Installed both G2 tube and cheepo throttle lock spec'd for a Honda as per (i think it was ScooterG)?

Installed new Admore LED kit to my E52 top case... highly recommended, very bright and easy install.

IMG_6321_zpsb3e63dd4.jpg

Installed my brand new dual Russell Daylong with dual heat... (with a relay triggered by the taillight wire so I don't drain my battery by being forgetful) then rode it to church this morning in 48 degree windy weather. Daaaaang is that heat nice! :yahoo:

Got my tankbag ready and wired for my iPhone5 running MotionX Drive GPS and SENA SM10 transmitter streaming the iPhone and V1 to my helmet. Phew, that was a pain!

Think I'm finally ready, now to pack! :)

Good weekend of work but wish I could have made EOM. :huh:

310 Miles riding up nort to deer camp to assure shit was/is ready.. left out 44 degrees.. returned 37degrees the last 100 miles.

You didn't miss much with EOM. The clique is well established down that way..CFO is far warmer regarding noobs. ;)

Yesterday , 9-22 , Celebrated my 67 th birthday , Wife and I ran about 750 miles up thru Ok. and Ark.then back to Texas. Both of us were feeling it when we got home , no more 1000 mile 2 up days for us Old Farts....FJR never missed a lick..Or a Bug Splat

New front brake pads, and new brake and clutch fluid all around at 35, 300 miles. Quick job on the FJR. Checked the rear pads, and they are still plenty fat, so left them in place.

Fitted the Bill Mayer seat just bought from Eric L. Had the adjuster set on the high setting but decided the extra height over the stock seat was just too much so reset to the low.

Now that is much better. I can definitely feel the benefit of the seat contour and padding so I'm looking forward to some longer rides without the arse ache.

I have noticed though that the seat doesn't seem to fit the tank contour so well on the low position and there is some very slight side to side rocking of the seat itself. Did I do something wrong anybody? Will have to double check.

Took a little ride around the block, about 435 miles worth . Ended up "Down East" North Carolina with a long time friend, Ricky the HD Guy

DSCN2793_zpsc66c85a8.jpg

First we went here

LumberRiverSP_zpsa45ae69d.jpg

Then we went here

LakeWaccamawSP_zps5e46cccd.jpg

Then we went here

CarolinaBeachSP_zpsfcbbacb9.jpg

Then a quick ride to the Atlantic Ocean then home. Only exciting thing was a local LEO outside Lake Waccamaw. Stopped us for going a bit too fast but he was cool about it. He checked us out to make sure we were legal, we chatted about riding (him too), and he gave us our licenses back and said, "I know how it is, you boys just slow it down a little".

I put my bike back together after removing all the front plastic to get at the windshield tracks. I had a bad shudder when lowering the shield. I tried lubing the tracks through the slots before I took it apart, but it didn't help. Anyways, the windshield operation is now smooth as it can be. While I had it apart, I disabled the auto retract.

My bike is still under warranty, so I could have had the dealer fix it. But, I try to avoid the dealer whenever possible as I fear they'll screw something up or gouge the plastic.