What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Squirted lots of WD40 into the ignition switch keyhole to stop the mechanism jamming. I was having trouble getting the key in far enough to release the steering lock.

Feels good now, I will wait a few days for the rain to wash out the WD40, then I'll put in a dry lubricant.

(Nearly had to call for help whilst in a shopping centre car park. How embarrassing would that be?
blush.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
The hoes on the right do get a little horny if I turn too tight. Nothing hits the forks though...
Wait... Republican hookers can actually get horny?

This goes against everything I've ever heard about them.

Glad you were able to keep your "forks" clean though... :p

Might have damaged my PR2 with tire irons...gonna go out and give it a test ride at Mach 10.
Yes, but what kind of balance did you do? Apparently the new, only acceptable, standard is the water super spinning immersion method. Its super difficult and super expensive, so it's gotta be exponentially better than the static method...And super!

Might have damaged my PR2 with tire irons...gonna go out and give it a test ride at Mach 10.
Yes, but what kind of balance did you do? Apparently the new, only acceptable, standard is the water super spinning immersion method. Its super difficult and super expensive, so it's gotta be exponentially better than the static method...And super!
An excellent observation my Friend AJ, but besides being super you have failed to mention that it is also creamy smooth! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Started it up, watched in fear and trepidation as smoke came pouring out from around the engine
ohmy.gif

then

... remembered a couple of days ago I'd used a lot of WD40 to unjam the steering lock mechanism, it must have drained down onto the exhaust headers
blink.gif

Went for a longer ride than I was going to - "Got to burn it all off, dear."
rolleyes.gif

Tore the back half apart in a plan to replace the rear hugger with an OEM rear fender, but after 3 hours of digging in, and then realizing what else was atatched to the fender that I'd have to detacah and replace, I just buttoned it up again.

At which time I realized that my 6yo helper had decided to use the magnetic pickup tool to rearrange the fasteners that I'd set aside in the order in which they were removed. :angry:

So a few more hours later, the whole thing is reassembled, minus three bolts that are missing but plus four or five other things that I can't figure out where they go. But nothing fell off on the ride in to work today, so that's OK.

Also, got the wiring worked out on my dual Heatrollers which were mounted in the left dash panel, but weren't powering up from the FZ-1 in the tail. Still don't know why they weren't (still have to debug the FZ-1), but got them wired into the under-tank connection panel that I didn't previously know was on the bike.

I replaced the seven year old battery. It tested good but the bike was showing the symptoms of a dieing batt. slow starting and the guages resetting sometimes. If it still does it I will go after the starter this winter. I have a fresh starter ready to go just have to get over the fear of taking it apart.

I pulled the tank and disconnected the O2 sensor so the PC-V can do its job correctly. I also rerouted the ground wire from the PC-V. Dad was able to check out the new G2 throttle tube and the Kaoko throttle lock for the first time. He says that if I keep up the good work he will let me wash and wax it before we leave Friday morning. :)

I pulled the tank and disconnected the O2 sensor so the PC-V can do its job correctly. I also rerouted the ground wire from the PC-V. Dad was able to check out the new G2 throttle tube and the Kaoko throttle lock for the first time. He says that if I keep up the good work he will let me wash and wax it before we leave Friday morning. :)

Your Dad is cool! :aacool: Reminds me of my 80 year old Dad. He was admiring my FJR and said he wished he could still ride but his reflexes just aren't good enough any more. I wish he could ride too. Keep up the good work taking care of your Pop. :thumbsup:

I replaced the seven year old battery. It tested good but the bike was showing the symptoms of a dieing batt. slow starting and the guages resetting sometimes. If it still does it I will go after the starter this winter. I have a fresh starter ready to go just have to get over the fear of taking it apart.
Ray, I don't believe there's a single forum veteran that believes a word of that. :D

Your Dad is cool! :aacool: Reminds me of my 80 year old Dad. He was admiring my FJR and said he wished he could still ride but his reflexes just aren't good enough any more. I wish he could ride too. Keep up the good work taking care of your Pop. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind words. Pop was kind enough to drop off a fresh can of the Yamaha Spray Detailer that I love so much. He seems more than happy to keep me supplied with whatever I need to take care of his FJR. He is so nice that when I picked it up from his house last week the oil, filter, and crush washer were neatly packed in the left saddlebag. At 67 he can still do all of this stuff but he was on the coast running charters. And why should he do it when he has me?

Pop was kind enough to drop off a fresh can of the Yamaha Spray Detailer that I love so much. He seems more than happy to keep me supplied with whatever I need to take care of his FJR. He is so nice that when I picked it up from his house last week the oil, filter, and crush washer were neatly packed in the left saddlebag. At 67 he can still do all of this stuff but he was on the coast running charters. And why should he do it when he has me?
Exactly :lol:

It's cool that you and your dad have the bikes and the relationship. Kudos.

I haven't even looked at mine today. <_< But tomorrow I'll be riding it in to have the 8k mile service done.

Sounds like you guys have some good times together. I've read some of your other posts regarding you and your Dad's adventures. Love it!

In keeping with the thread title, I just put the finishing touches on suspension mods to my '05. AK-20 cartridges, 1.1 fork springs, new bushings and seals, Maxima 7wt fork oil. Serviced head bearings, disassembled and serviced EVERY rear suspension bushing/bearing - what a b*tch! Installed new Penske 8983 shock. Upon reassembly I did Fred W's TBS using my homemade comparative manometer (tubing, auto trans fluid, restrictors mounted on a board).

Result - the wallowing pig doesn't wallow any more. The rear stays planted 2up and the forks stay up in the stroke while eating up the small chop. Braking nosedive gone. Much more fun to ride. I expect the new PR3's will make a nice difference too. Current PR2's at 10k mi are nearing the end. TBS showed throttle butterflies were out quite a bit. Air screws were 3/4 turn out on #1, 1.5 turns on #4. Now all air screws are very close and I got my idle speed adjustment back. Couldn't get it below 13-1400, now at a steady 1100. Vibes at 4k rpm reduced but not gone.

Dad took it for a shakedown run this morning. Success! He was so pleased that he did in fact let me wash it. Then I put a coat of Yamaha Polish and Detailer on it. He rode it home and will start packing it for our 10 day trip to the Smokies.

Take note of him drinking coffee and giving directions:

IMG_6240.jpg
">

Just got back from KFG Racing in Auburn Washington, new home for GP suspension. They installed the GP suspension kit in the front forks and the Penske 8983 adj. shock in the rear. Also had them install the Dunlop Q2 tires I had while my wheels were off. Barry, the owner, then set up the suspension for me. I took advantage of their ride in service because they are only 300 miles away from me. But because I just broke my wrist I had to trailer my FJR up there. I was there in the parking lot when they opened and they went to work on Porky (my FJR). My bike was done and ready at the end of the day, about 5 pm, as promised. I am really looking forward to riding with the new suspension. It has had some great reviews on this forum. And April at KFG gave me a 15% fjrforum discount.

Topped up fuel tank and put on tank bag. Off to the mountains again in the morning!

I forgot to wash the windshield...again

Approaching 30,000 miles so . . .

Installed new NGK Iridium Spark Plugs,

Completed the "Completely Un-Authorized Throttle Sync" (details here: FJR Forum "Un-Authorized Throttle Sync"

easy to do and well worth the extra time . . . HUGE difference in throttle smoothness.

Replaced my two front tank bolts.

Getting ready for an oil change

Installing a Dimple Magnetic Drain Plug . . . (find them here: Dimple Magnetic Drain Plugs

Went out for a 400 mile spin in the north-central Pennsylvania forests . . .