What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know....it's hard to save the day and then be treated like an "asslick",as you so profoundly say. It reminds me of being married. I do all this hard work and just get asked to do more. Then, if I don't do it the way she wants me then all hell breaks loose. Why did I get married again?

I made my second (this one has no "seat back" on it) rack to hold my Aux fuel can on the back. It uses a hook that goes into the groove in the center of the grab handle and two tabs the hold the back down using wing nuts. the tank itself holds about 3 quarts and is a painted, plugged fire extinguisher body. Not alot of gas, granted but is enough to cover you if you misjudge the gas/range by a few miles. After all, a 3 mile push will REALLY screw up a ride.

I know....it's hard to save the day and then be treated like an "asslick",as you so profoundly say. It reminds me of being married. I do all this hard work and just get asked to do more. Then, if I don't do it the way she wants me then all hell breaks loose. Why did I get married again?
Oh Christ, does THIS sound familiar??

Good weekend for maintenance: New set of PR2s (almost 12K out of the last set), new stopper pads, and added Speed Bleeders. Those things are GREAT! Out for a test drive then home to change the oil and wash away the last few months of dirt and bugs.

And that's when I saw THIS:

(The following is a dramatic recreation of an actual event.)

DSCN6813.jpg

J-u-s-t a little bit disconcerting.

I couldn't imagine what that bolt was SUPPOSED to be holding on, so I pulled the tank and plastic to see if I could spot a gaping hole. Not seeing one, my best guess is it came from the head and a tech dropped it into the bowels of the engine compartment when I last had it in for a valve check. He probably just grabbed another from inventory and figured the lost one would fall on to the highway somewhere.

Anyhoo, new rubber is always a treat, the weather is unseasonably warm and when it's not the Gerbings is keepin' me toasty!
Not positive, but that looks like a frame brace (t-bar) bolt located under the tank.
Nope, they were all present and accounted for. Seemed to match the two head bolts on the left side of the engine...and both of those are also in place. I pitched the bolt in a drawer; what's the worst that can happen? :unsure:

Pulled the wheels yesterday to put on a set of PR2's this afternoon. Will check/lube the drive spline and pumpkin fluids. Planning a wash n wax this afternoon as well for some beautiful riding weather. Happy Thanksgiving to all! :D

Almost done with my "put it away for the winter" jobs. In the last 2 weeks or so, oil changed, final drive oil changed, windshield motor lubed, kickstand pivot lubed, wheels pulled, pumpkin pulled, lubed driveshaft and spline gears, new tires put on, washed and waxed.

And I have new headlight bulbs on the way. The old ones are out. I predict much swearing and maybe crying in my future trying to get those rubber boots back over the bulb assembly (plastics aren't off). I'm putting some PIAA H4 night techs in there. Stocks are still fine, but over 4 years old so figured I'd give it a try.

Good weekend for maintenance: New set of PR2s (almost 12K out of the last set), new stopper pads, and added Speed Bleeders. Those things are GREAT! Out for a test drive then home to change the oil and wash away the last few months of dirt and bugs.

And that's when I saw THIS:

(The following is a dramatic recreation of an actual event.)

DSCN6813.jpg

J-u-s-t a little bit disconcerting.

I couldn't imagine what that bolt was SUPPOSED to be holding on, so I pulled the tank and plastic to see if I could spot a gaping hole. Not seeing one, my best guess is it came from the head and a tech dropped it into the bowels of the engine compartment when I last had it in for a valve check. He probably just grabbed another from inventory and figured the lost one would fall on to the highway somewhere.

Anyhoo, new rubber is always a treat, the weather is unseasonably warm and when it's not the Gerbings is keepin' me toasty!
Not positive, but that looks like a frame brace (t-bar) bolt located under the tank.
Nope, they were all present and accounted for. Seemed to match the two head bolts on the left side of the engine...and both of those are also in place. I pitched the bolt in a drawer; what's the worst that can happen? :unsure:
It's the jesus nut. Holds the whole skoot together. POS genII's are that way. ;)

And I have new headlight bulbs on the way. The old ones are out. I predict much swearing and maybe crying in my future trying to get those rubber boots back over the bulb assembly (plastics aren't off). I'm putting some PIAA H4 night techs in there. Stocks are still fine, but over 4 years old so figured I'd give it a try.
I've changed bulbs a couple times on my 07 and gotta agree that it can be a pain. Those boots didn't want to come off the first time, but it's been easier for subsequent changes because I put some dielectric grease in the groove of the boot. Makes it a LOT easier to pull off and pop on the boots!

I've changed bulbs a couple times on my 07 and gotta agree that it can be a pain. Those boots didn't want to come off the first time, but it's been easier for subsequent changes because I put some dielectric grease in the groove of the boot. Makes it a LOT easier to pull off and pop on the boots!
Thanks for the advice. They didn't come off easy at all, which makes it seem like it will be impossible to get them back on. I'll add some grease.

It's the jesus nut. Holds the whole skoot together. POS genII's are that way. ;)
Pretty sure you're right odot, cuz that's pretty much what I said when I spotted it. :lol:

Pretty sure you're right odot, cuz that's pretty much what I said when I spotted it. :lol:
Long shot but check the two bolts that hold the front subframe to the main frame. The bolts look similar to that one but they mount the other way round (would fall out to the right of the bike) so I can't see how one would end up there.

I walked past the FJR and took the ZRex to work again...won't be back on Frankenbike till the old lady lets me buy a new PR2 for the front. Wish I could get more than 13,000 miles out of a damn motorcycle tire. :(

I walked past the FJR and took the ZRex to work again...won't be back on Frankenbike till the old lady lets me buy a new PR2 for the front. Wish I could get more than 13,000 miles out of a damn motorcycle tire. :(
U need to grow a dik first..
:****:

Last edited by a moderator:
U need to grow a dik first..
:****:
I've already molted this year...new one won't be back til late Feb/early March.

:angry: