What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it was actually yesterday,

Cleaned and polished and added air in the tires. All set to go weather permitting. Expecting 3-6 inches of the white stuff tonight.

Bummmmmmmed.
sadsmiley.gif

Well it was actually yesterday,

Cleaned and polished and added air in the tires. All set to go weather permitting. Expecting 3-6 inches of the white stuff tonight.

Bummmmmmmed.
sadsmiley.gif
^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, at least you won't get snow all over your freshly polished tires! :p :p :p

Went out for a ride. In the pouring rain (well, this is England).

Excuse this time?

A Christmas tree light failed, had to go buy a new bulb.

Yes, I know Christmas is over, but I don't want SWMBO to be disappointed next year when we bring it out again.

And I haven't ridden for 4 days.

It's funny how a 3-mile trip adds 30 or so to the odometer.

(Click on image for larger view)

Last edited by a moderator:
Peed on the front tire today. No leaks noted. Okay for service. Oh, checked the batt voltage....was 12.77 after a week of no riding. She might last another year.

Moved the handlebars to the rear position,

installed calsci shorty - freebie with bike

installed oes sliders ,

fitted Nelson rigg cl-1040 bag for rear seat in case I need it

added ram mount on clutch reservoir,

installed battery tender pigtail,

ordered side case rear decals

That's I for a while till I now what else I need

Watched the wife lean on me skoot while she smoked a cig. Then wondered if the nitrogen content of my tires was lessened or not....

Installed xm radio. Had to modify / manufacture every step of the way. Put on new (oem)pair of fz1 mirrors while I had the plastic off. Aired up the tires and prepared to ride.

The battery in my helmet was dead, I didnt have ac to the charger.....

Finally got around to installing a pigtail for battery tender. Installed my new/used Cee Bailey wind shield (thanks Petey) that has been sitting in the garage for a week.

Put the battery on a trickle charger for a couple of hours. Hope to set up to do a valve check next week - have to get o-rings for coolant pipe and check out the local dealer for shim availability. On the last valve check (30,000 miles ago) I had three intake valves at the minimum spec so I am thinking i will need to do some re-shimming this time. Given the recent weather, I won't be able to manage a post-maintenance test ride until March!

Put the battery on a trickle charger for a couple of hours. Hope to set up to do a valve check next week - have to get o-rings for coolant pipe and check out the local dealer for shim availability. On the last valve check (30,000 miles ago) I had three intake valves at the minimum spec so I am thinking i will need to do some re-shimming this time. Given the recent weather, I won't be able to manage a post-maintenance test ride until March!
Given the time you have I say the heck with the dealer. Mine never have what I need anyway. IMHO do your clearence checks then order what shims you need. The 'standard' shims come in .05 mm increments but you can order .025 mm increment shims here without getting an entire kit, most of which you'll never use.

Given the time you have I say the heck with the dealer. Mine never have what I need anyway. IMHO do your clearence checks then order what shims you need. The 'standard' shims come in .05 mm increments but you can order .025 mm increment shims here without getting an entire kit, most of which you'll never use.
I can probably get shims cheaper on-line but once I take it apart I don't want to wait around for a week or more to get shims before I put it back together. Shim cost + shipping + duty + taxes (in Canada) will probably make the shims from the dealer almost as cheap, a lot faster and more convenient. Alternatively, I could simply grind down my existing shims to meet spec - depends on how many and how much thinner they have to be.

I took the wheels off to have the tires changed and learned an important lesson. When just using the center stand (on a 3/4 inch board for extra clearance) take the front wheel off FIRST and then the rear. Once the rear wheel is off no one in my house is heavy enough to sit on the back and get the front propped up. Re-assembly was much easier...back wheel first and then front at which point a 15 year old girl is heavy enough to keep the front end propped.

Now the scoot is sporting its new PR3's.
rolleyes.gif

@Silver...Use a 1" X 6" and small scissor jack or floor jack under the headers. Pull off the back tire first and THEN the front tire. I've witnessed an FJR come off the center stand doing just what you've described -- not pretty!

Just my $.02 YMMV

--G

@Silver...Use a 1" X 6" and small scissor jack or floor jack under the headers. Pull off the back tire first and THEN the front tire. I've witnessed an FJR come off the center stand doing just what you've described -- not pretty!

Just my $.02 YMMV

--G
Good to know. I have a regular bike jack (from my cruiser days) and I even went so far as to put in under the headers but I was afraid I was going to smush them so I pulled it out. I'll try that next time. Thanks! I did put blocks under the pumpkin once the tire was off just so it wouldn't topple over backwards by mistake.

Just my $.02 YMMV

--G
Good to know. I have a regular bike jack (from my cruiser days) and I even went so far as to put in under the headers but I was afraid I was going to smush them so I pulled it out. I'll try that next time. Thanks! I did put blocks under the pumpkin once the tire was off just so it wouldn't topple over backwards by mistake.
The cruiser style jacks are too big to be useful. I use the small scissor jack from my econobox when the bike's up for any period of time. Floor jack works too...just don't kick it!

--G

let's see...165k mi on my '04

changed oil, filter, plugs

trouble shooted (shot?) AVCC electronic cruise...very weird mystery, but ended up to be corroded plug/connector from control pad to the servo unit. wiggling it showed a fault, unplug/plug got it working while on the road, then cleaned it up with contact cleaner should be a long term fix

replace defective hyperlite (manufacturer sent replacement even though purchased a couple years ago)

Just puked on the front seat....it's ugly. Now I have to get into the nooks and crannys and everyone else's mother to find the ring I ate to give it back to the wife. Lifes a bitch......then you realize your tits hurt.