What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Silver...Use a 1" X 6" and small scissor jack or floor jack under the headers. Pull off the back tire first and THEN the front tire. I've witnessed an FJR come off the center stand doing just what you've described -- not pretty!

Just my $.02 YMMV

--G
Good to know. I have a regular bike jack (from my cruiser days) and I even went so far as to put in under the headers but I was afraid I was going to smush them so I pulled it out. I'll try that next time. Thanks! I did put blocks under the pumpkin once the tire was off just so it wouldn't topple over backwards by mistake.
The cruiser style jacks are too big to be useful. I use the small scissor jack from my econobox when the bike's up for any period of time. Floor jack works too...just don't kick it!

--G
I found the same thing so I sold my cruiser jack and bought an el-cheapo floor jack. I use a piece of firring strip to distribute the weight across all four pipes and jack her up. Works fine.

Just puked on the front seat....it's ugly. Now I have to get into the nooks and crannys and everyone else's mother to find the ring I ate to give it back to the wife. Lifes a bitch......then you realize your tits hurt.
Dip shit... If you would learn to behave yer tit wouldn't get caught in the ringer.

Fitted vstrom hand guards (as opposed to those ugly Yamaha mirror covers) and chrome exhaust pipe heat shields (behind the riders foot pegs). Now waiting for warmer, drier weather. May look into disabling the screen auto-return-to-rest "feature". I'm sure I read some place on this forum how to do that on a Gen2 FJR.

Same as the Gen I innit? If so, there's a connector behind/under the dash on the throttle side that just has a short wire connecting the two sides. Unplug that and you're good to go.

Alternately, that wire only has power after the engine is running; some use it to trigger the relay that turns on all the aftermarket bits.

Washed the bike the other day after work, hadn't hosed her down since the Rubin Run in September. Replaced the front brake pads. Treated all the black plastic to some black magic in a bottle. Ready for the work commute tomorrow.

[quote name=deanw" post="1028697" time="1357066346"]Same as the Gen I innit? If so, there's a connector behind/under the dash on the throttle side that just has a short wire connecting the two sides. Unplug that and you're good to go. Alternately, that wire only has power after the engine is running; some use it to trigger the relay that turns on all the aftermarket bits.

Ah yes, I think I found it.......here https://www.fjrtech.net/getdbitem.cfm?item=12. Shown on a gen1 but noted as applicable to all gens.

Bled and changed fluid in brake and clutch systems. Followed Sirby's procedure for AE clutch bleeding, namely switch ignition on and off while cracking bleed nipple open/closed and topping up master cylinder (sure empties quick!). Seems to work well thanks for the tip.

Old fluid in clutch pretty grimy looking but the bubbles I think were entering around my crummy plastic tubing or the nipple threads.

Only issues previously were loud CLUNK/JOLT when shifting into first from a standstill, hot or cold, and the occasional clutch momentary re-engagement when rolling to a stop. No change with either since bleeding so guess that wasn't the cause.

One thing Sirby didn't mention. On ignition switch on after bleeding, a fault code came up and bike wouldn't start. SH_ _ 25 I think, error in YCC-S system. So on next switch on I quickly pressed start button and she fired up and no fault code has shown since. There was some repeated clatter and hesitancy from the clutch for the first couple of starts, but not since.

Since I'm on call and unable to ride, I washed and waxed black to get the last two weeks of grime off. I should start selling all the sand that comes off every wash...

--G

Since I'm on call and unable to ride, I washed and waxed black to get the last two weeks of grime off. I should start selling all the sand that comes off every wash...

--G
This is NEWS! Crank up the presses. Escapefjrtist has not washed his bike in two weeks. George has the cleanest FJR on the forum. Hell after I wash mine it is dirtier then his before he washes his.

Last edited by a moderator:

--G
This is NEWS! Crank up the presses. Escapefjrtist has not washed his bike in two weeks. George has the cleanest FJR on the forum. Hell after I wash mine it is dirtier then his before he washes his.
How about a contest, my FeeJay will be washed after every ride, Thats mandatory. I can't stand a dirty bike.. :) ! One could call my bikes Garage queens...but they ain't......I received yesterday on our ride a few compliments for this nice "new" bike until try learned, that my FeeJay is a 2007.....and that dark cherry in the sun is just always good for a awww moment LOL

V

RPK

You've obviously never seen CanadianFJR's bike. The only way that you can tell it is an '03, and not a 2010 (the other silver year), is the funny looking turn signals.

And yes, Scott is known to wash his bike. Quite often...
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Started her up after 11 days of xmas shutdown. She started right up. Guess I don't need a battery this year. Rode to work in 32 degree weather. Wasn't too bad....my cup of coffee was cold when I got to work. Kinda sucks storing my hot coffee in my dashboard/glovebox.

Put a baggie in yer pocket and pour your coffee in there. I thought you was an Eskimo??

Too many years in Tejas I guess...

I already got a baggie in my pocket......it's for something else other then coffee, though.....

Well, not really to the bike but the plastic panel mount for the radio face broke due to my poor engineering and over tightening of attachment screws. Plastic junk. Anyhoo, superglued the plastic and then cut a piece of tin to reinforce the mount on four sides attaching it with JB Weld. Filled broken out spots with hot glue for plastic, painted it, and will put it back in use on Fri. We'll see how long it lasts.
rolleyes.gif
It's an older radio so they don't make the panel mounts anymore, hence the home brew method.

Still saving up for suspension upgrades!

Happy New Year All!

--G
Hey Fontanaman,

Speaking of clean bike, here's a shot I took from my FeeJay yesterday, ain't she clean?
rolleyes.gif

8339286510_8d5a1914bb_z.jpg

V

RPK