Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I would call:Deming Cycle Center

(Out of Business...)

Yammie dealer in Show Low

(very high prices on floor units, IME...)
That's really unfortunate about Deming. I was EXTREMELY happy with the buying experience from them. Great folks they were.

I don't know much about Show Low other than they are trying to blow out a brand new 09 FJR for $9999 which is a smokin deal.

I'm pretty sure that all bikes are CA smog legal... Its prolly going to be only one type of bike..... If not the CA bike will have an EVEN BIGGER exhaust can... Might weigh 125Lbs.... LOL

Nope. The People's Republik require's a little sticker that says it's CARB certified/approved. For the rest there is the '49 state legal'. And it will have nothing to do with the exhaust, but everything to do with adding a charcoal canister for evaporative emissions.

The only thing that bugs me is the stock inability to disarm and disable the ABS ...you can wire in a dash switch to disarm/disable the ABS for dirt work!
I don't get it Don. ...but I don't see how locking your breaks and sliding will stop you faster than ABS which has been proven to be a shorter stopping distance?
...in real life, with real dirt riders ...have the ability to lock up that rear tire and avoid the front brake like the plague.
"Real dirt riders" like motocross racers use the front brake all the time (that's why they have one...). "Real dirt riders" know when the front tire is about to skid -- and modulate the brake accordingly.

Locking-up the rear brake/wheel/tire and skidding improves stopping distance how...? :unsure:

From the MSF:

"Rear-wheel skid on loose surface: (poor traction) -- ease brake pressure to regain control."

I'm pretty sure that all bikes are CA smog legal... Its prolly going to be only one type of bike..... If not the CA bike will have an EVEN BIGGER exhaust can... Might weigh 125Lbs.... LOL

Nope. The People's Republik require's a little sticker that says it's CARB certified/approved. For the rest there is the '49 state legal'. And it will have nothing to do with the exhaust, but everything to do with adding a charcoal canister for evaporative emissions.
You're right on the sticker and evap, Skoot. But are you sure that the 49 state Super Teneres will not have those? Im pretty sure some bikes (and most cars) are now 50 state compliant, and the CARB sticker is therefore present -- that was the point of my question.

You're right on the sticker and evap, Skoot. But are you sure that the 49 state Super Teneres will not have those? Im pretty sure some bikes (and most cars) are now 50 state compliant, and the CARB sticker is therefore present -- that was the point of my question.
Nope. Not sure at all. In the past only Kali models of the bikes I am familiar with have the charcoal canister and the CARB sticker.

I was also planning on taking D&H's price to Apache and RideNow, see if they'd be willing to deal...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The Great Satan? Deal?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If you want to get a decent deal in this area, I would call:

The Cycle Center in Casa Grande, AZ. GREAT dealership, but probably not the most aggressive on price. But worth a try. Most likely will beat those Ride Now bastards.

Deming Cycle Center in......you guessed it! Deming, NM where I bought my brand new 04 FJR many years ago.

The Yamaha dealer in Ely, NV. They used to give great deals. Not quite D&H, but close.

Others to try - the Yammie dealer in Show Low, and Sierra Vista (have heard good things about them).
Good to know...when I bought my 08 FJR in Vegas, the ONLY Yammie dealers were RideNow...and it was an impulse buy...I intend to do better this time around...given how much I travel for work, I should also have enough miles for a free flight come next year :yahoo:

The only thing that bugs me is the stock inability to disarm and disable the ABS ...you can wire in a dash switch to disarm/disable the ABS for dirt work!
I don't get it Don. ...but I don't see how locking your breaks and sliding will stop you faster than ABS which has been proven to be a shorter stopping distance?
...in real life, with real dirt riders ...have the ability to lock up that rear tire and avoid the front brake like the plague.
"Real dirt riders" like motocross racers use the front brake all the time (that's why they have one...). "Real dirt riders" know when the front tire is about to skid -- and modulate the brake accordingly.

Locking-up the rear brake/wheel/tire and skidding improves stopping distance how...? :unsure:

From the MSF:

"Rear-wheel skid on loose surface: (poor traction) -- ease brake pressure to regain control."
Well charismaticmegafauna, Since you have issued the Challenge, I will accept it. Just name the place and time and we will off road ride together, and you can demonstrate this to me in real life! Not just You bullshitting on this Forum! Get in contact with me at either 480-440-4666 or [email protected] and set up this off road demonstration for me! CMMF, I am really looking forward to riding you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well charismaticmegafauna, Since you have issued the Challenge, I will accept it. Just name the place and time and we will off road ride together, and you can demonstrate this to me in real life! Not just You bullshitting on this Forum! Get in contact with me at either 480-440-4666 or [email protected] and set up this off road demonstration for me!
Please don't get personal (there's Forum rules against that). :(

Just stick to the facts, please...

Any data showing how ABS doesn't work -- and skidding does...? :unsure:

Well charismaticmegafauna, Since you have issued the Challenge, I will accept it. Just name the place and time and we will off road ride together, and you can demonstrate this to me in real life! Not just You bullshitting on this Forum! Get in contact with me at either 480-440-4666 or [email protected] and set up this off road demonstration for me!

Okay, since you're chicken shit, let me propose this: Meet me at the Apache Junction Shell at 0600 hours this coming Sunday, to beat the heat; we will ride both Four Peaks and Apache Trail to the lake!

Offroaders consistently abhor using ABS. THat's why the desire for a switch. On road it's a god send. Off road, not so much.

The problem, from the way I've understood it, is on a dirt surface the wheels are almost always slipping. So the ABS would be cycling like crazy, and you end up with almost no braking power.

Good discussion of this over on ADV which even has a YouTube vid of what happens

But I must disclose that I have never owned a dirt bike with ABS, therefore I could not possibly know what I'm talking about... :rolleyes:

Okay, since you're chicken shit...
Please refrain from violating Forum Guideline # 5:

"5. No personal attacks."

Do you have anything to contribute in the way of facts, figures, and data (empirical or otherwise)?

If not, please cease and desist (your personal affectations)... :(

Okay, since you're chicken shit...
Please refrain from violating Forum Guideline # 5:

"5. No personal attacks."

Do you have anything to contribute in the way of facts, figures, and data (empirical or otherwise)?

If not, please cease and desist (your personal affectations)... :(
BLOW ME, YOU GUTLESS WONDER!!! Thank Goodness it's Friday!

I've done a ton of off-road riding. You have to be able to lock up the brakes off-road, it's just as simple as that. Sand, loose rock, mud--you use some rear-wheel skidding to set up for corners constantly. Also, steep high-pucker factor descents, you have to be able to skid sometimes. Picture a steep, loose descent. What do you think will decelerate better--an ABS wheel rolling over the top, or a fully locked up rear pushing a pile in front of it and digging a trench on the way down?

I've done a ton of off-road riding. You have to be able to lock up the brakes off-road, it's just as simple as that. Sand, loose rock, mud--you use some rear-wheel skidding to set up for corners constantly. Also, steep high-pucker factor descents, you have to be able to skid sometimes. Picture a steep, loose descent. What do you think will decelerate better--an ABS wheel rolling over the top, or a fully locked up rear pushing a pile in front of it and digging a trench on the way down?
Thank you, Spud! When Niehart - Dave Black introduced you to me at WFO in Moscow, Idaho you immediately impressed me as a very intelligent individual. Your explanation is perfect, in all regards!!!

Thank you, Spud! When Niehart - Dave Black introduced you to me at WFO in Moscow, Idaho you immediately impressed me as a very intelligent individual. Your explanation is perfect, in all regards!!!
Crimey it's getting deep around here. Ya know, all the flattery in the world probably ain't going to get you laid with Spud mi bastard-papa.

Crimey it's getting deep around here. Ya know, all the flattery in the world probably ain't going to get you laid with Spud mi bastard-papa.
I'm actually holding out for Niehart, The Mature Type!

@ Don, Fred and Spud: Thanks for explanations! I am keenly aware that there are often times that real is WAY different than theory. This is one of those times. This information will come in handy when I do get back to my childhood roots of dirt, sand and gravel!

SILLY FUCKER RESPONDING HERE! The only thing that bugs me is the stock inability to disarm and disable the ABS, I related to Smitty on the phone the close call I had down in Mexico with Brian last April, where I almost took a 1K foot plunge because my pulsing BMW ABS was not stopping me in time before a very sharp curve. EXTREMELY FECKING DANGEROUS!
But, HIGHLANDER consistently has the right information on motorcycles and he has a reference resource on how you can wire in a dash switch to disarm/disable the ABS for dirt work!
If you really needed to disable the ABS for a dangerous downgrade...couldn't you just pull the ABS fuse out of the fusebox?

I've done a ton of off-road riding. You have to be able to lock up the brakes off-road...rear-wheel skidding...will decelerate better ... fully locked up rear ...
...I am keenly aware that there are often times that real is WAY different than theory.
I think Yamaha lives or dies on theory (and technology):

From the Euro test: The unified brake system with ABS is really exceptional. A computer program constantly monitors bike speed, deceleration and slip rates, in addition to wheel speeds to determine the point at which one or both wheels may be about to lose traction. The system also acts as a distributor of braking force between the front and rear brakes when the front brake lever is used (using the rear brake first defeats the brake linkage and allows the rider to control both front and rear manually). Overall, a very complex system that really works well.
Skidding v/s "a very complex system that really works well"...? :unsure: