Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kinda like that yellow one. Too bad Yamaha will use the same shitty marketing ploy they have with the FJR and never go to a color like that.

Hell, that's almost as pretty as this one:

2010_7_152182_ShineYellowMetallic.jpg

Hehe...Sorry...I'm just being an ass!

I like the yellow one too.

Funny thing, when I first saw the Yellow photo-shopped pic, I said to myself, wait... something is missing.

After seeing the picture 'zilla posted below it, I now realize: The Tenere is missing a beak!

Through the years, BMW has somehow impressed in my subconscious mind that a dual sport bike should have a beak... :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered blue, but it'll end up muck gray eventually...
Orange is purdy cool...
I went with black, just like my women. But, I fully intend to two-tone paint my 1200Zed with yellow; much like the two-tone BMW R100GS Airhead "Bumblebee" bikes. I just love two-tone motorcycles.

P1000165.JPG

I love that black and yellow look Beemerdons. I had an 03 DL1000 that was yellow and with all the black stuff on it, I'd have to say it was my all time favorite color combo. I don't do much painting on new bikes, but if I see your Raven Super Tenere, I may have to jazz my Raven up some way too.

doctorj

"I am a bit disappointed with Yamaha on the S10. They had a chance to hit a home run. Instead, from my vantage it looks like they only hit a double."

I agree about the warranty period but at least the YES isn't too expensive. Just curious and know there is no perfect bike, but what would make you like the XT1200Z more to think it a "home run"? I've got my thoughts but just wanted to read yours since reading the Aussie guys assessments, it seems "bloody brilliant" :biggrinsmiley:

doctorj

I love that black and yellow look Beemerdons. I had an 03 DL1000 that was yellow and with all the black stuff on it, I'd have to say it was my all time favorite color combo. I don't do much painting on new bikes, but if I see your Raven Super Tenere, I may have to jazz my Raven up some way too.
doctorj
doctorj, I intend to paint "La Poderosa Diabla Negra" (The Powerful Black She-Devil) just like the picture that the Armadillo Fucker posted up. Top of the tank will be yellow, curving down to the seat. I will have Heat Waves, Inc. here in Chandler do the work, they are the same shop that two-toned my 2003 FJR "Miss Lucy Liu" silver and blue. I will then have Arizona Powder Coatings in Phoenix, yellow powdercoat all of the crash protection guards. Also, I will have Don Hendrickson "The Saddle Man" here in Chandler, recover the seat like below, but yellow instead of gray! They'll love it down in Mexico!

I agree about the warranty period but at least the YES isn't too expensive.
Check out that price tag on the BMW GSA, then tell me again that they are including the 3 year warranty for "free". ;)

Just curious and know there is no perfect bike, but what would make you like the XT1200Z more to think it a "home run"?
It would resemble this: click me for Adventure

Funny thing, when I first saw the Yellow photo-shopped pic, I said to myself, wait... something is missing.

After seeing the picture 'zilla posted below it, I now realize: The Tenere is missing a beak!

Through the years, BMW has somehow impressed in my subconscious mind that a dual sport bike should have a beak... :blink:
Actually, what's needed is a high front fender. That low slung POS will pack up with mud, stop the tire from turning, and put you on your pretty butt faster than you can wha happen'? :unsure:

Actually, what's needed is a high front fender. That low slung POS will pack up with mud, stop the tire from turning, and put you on your pretty butt faster than you can wha happen'? :unsure:
Mi Hermano Donaldo, Muchas gracias, regarding Your nice compliment on my pretty butt: I Love You, Too!!!

Funny thing, ... wait... something is missing. I now realize: The Tenere is missing a beak!

...a dual sport bike should have a beak... :blink:
Actually, what's needed is a high front fender. That low slung POS will pack up with mud, stop the tire from turning, and put you on your pretty butt faster than you can (say) wha' happen'? :unsure:
For sure...!

Although..., I once attended a dual-sport seminar at a BMW Rally where the presenter answered (when asked how to prevent such an occurance):

"2 things:

1. Ride faster -- then mud won't collect.
  2. Coat your tires with WD-40."
I kid you not... :blink: :rolleyes:

Are any of you contemplating about adding some 'off road' tires to your new scooter ? I am, and wanted to get your thoughts on some of these tires. I know it all depends on what people are going to use the bike for.. Seeing what peoples thoughts are... The three are the TKC 80's ..... the Metzler Karoo's and the Shinko 705's..... What I like about the Shinko's is they are about 100 bucks for the front and rear combo.. There are several places with cheep shipping too, so you can get a set for just over $100 bones........ no bad

[SIZE=14pt]TKC 80's[/SIZE].....
TKC80.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]The Karoo's[/SIZE].....
WASPWORKS20Super20Tenere20090710_06.jpg
WASPWORKS20Super20Tenere20090710_07.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]The Shinko 705[/SIZE].....
Shinko705-series.jpg

I like the look of the Karroo's but I know darn well those are made for mostly dirt and Ill burn those up pretty quick. I like the looks and over all performance of the TKC 80's. I think I can get 50/50 on these and still get 4-5K. But for the money, the Shinko 705's look real good... You can go beat on them and if tear one up its about $50 bucks... The others are about 150 each.... ouch. What are your thoughts.... Keep the posting and info going !!!! We have allot more to cover !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo:

doctorj

For sure.... I dont think im going to go nuts. But I gotta add some color... I gotta few painter friends that can hook a brotha up... I got a few other things im already working on, gunna be a great new ADV bike......... FYYFF :lol:

doctorj
doctorj, I intend to paint "La Poderosa Diabla Negra" (The Powerful Black She-Devil) just like the picture that the Armadillo Fucker posted up. Top of the tank will be yellow, curving down to the seat. I will have Heat Waves, Inc. here in Chandler do the work, they are the same shop that two-toned my 2003 FJR "Miss Lucy Liu" silver and blue. I will then have Arizona Powder Coatings in Phoenix, yellow powdercoat all of the crash protection guards. Also, I will have Don Hendrickson "The Saddle Man" here in Chandler, recover the seat like below, but yellow instead of gray! They'll love it down in Mexico!

Sounds awesome. I can't wait to see it. I don't usually name me bikes, and after the farkle work is done I'll have to see how many coins it takes to do some of that work you are talking about.

doctorj

No One, regarding the options about off road tires, I'd likely go with the shinkos since wearing them out wouldn't be a big expense. But ideally, I wish I had a spare set of rims to keep a set mounted and mainly run some Metzeler Tourances or the tourance EXPs (never used them but loved the regular tourances) for the sport touring and trips.

doctorj

No One, regarding the options about off road tires, I'd likely go with the shinkos since wearing them out wouldn't be a big expense. But ideally, I wish I had a spare set of rims to keep a set mounted and mainly run some Metzeler Tourances or the tourance EXPs (never used them but loved the regular tourances) for the sport touring and trips.
doctorj

Wounder (for fun) if we can get on the horn with some one in the world to see what these wheel sets cost... Ive read on the ADV site they are EXPENSIVE.... but whats that? :lol: There was no price.... That would be the best set up, is to have two sets like some of the BMW guys have.....

Are any of you contemplating about adding some 'off road' tires to your new scooter ? I am, and wanted to get your thoughts on some of these tires. I know it all depends on what people are going to use the bike for.. Seeing what peoples thoughts are... The three are the TKC 80's ..... the Metzler Karoo's and the Shinko 705's..... What I like about the Shinko's is they are about 100 bucks for the front and rear combo.. There are several places with cheep shipping too, so you can get a set for just over $100 bones........ no bad
[SIZE=14pt]TKC 80's[/SIZE].....
TKC80.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]The Karoo's[/SIZE].....
WASPWORKS20Super20Tenere20090710_06.jpg
WASPWORKS20Super20Tenere20090710_07.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]The Shinko 705[/SIZE].....
Shinko705-series.jpg

I like the look of the Karroo's but I know darn well those are made for mostly dirt and Ill burn those up pretty quick. I like the looks and over all performance of the TKC 80's. I think I can get 50/50 on these and still get 4-5K. But for the money, the Shinko 705's look real good... You can go beat on them and if tear one up its about $50 bucks... The others are about 150 each.... ouch. What are your thoughts.... Keep the posting and info going !!!! We have allot more to cover !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo:

No body has any suggestions on tires ? :blink:

Actually, I've thought the same thing. That is one thig that always bothered me about the TransAlp for any off road work. Hard packed trails are one thing, slogging through mud is quite another.

No doubt someone will find a method to raise the fender......or carry cans of WD-40.

Here are some great tires for these applications:

Mefo Super Explorers

Dunlop 908RR

TKC-80

Pirelli Scorpion

Karoo 2T

Heidenau K60 Scout

A little different players from what we are used to.