Death Valley Wildflower ride, Assuming we get some rain.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of 9pm 3/5 Longstreet as 3 regular rooms available on 3/11. One might free up, as a BMW friend might be joining us but he's not sure. I didn't know he was still in the area into earlier this evening.

I'm planning on leaving San Mateo (SF Bay Area) and going South through Tehachapi to Lone Pine on Thursday. The Best Western as regular rooms on Thursday night but at the moment only "suites" on Saturday.

I hope to hook up with the Sacramento gang in Lone Pine. Saturday back to Lone Pine and then home, direction depending on the weather.

Roy

Could someone sum up the itineraries? So far the NorCal group is leaving the Sacramento area at 9:00 AM and planning to travel to Lone Pine on 3/10 via US0 89, 88, 395. Friday in DV and staying at LongStreet 3/11. More DV on Saturday with overnight in Lone Pine and returning to Sacramento via best available route considering weather.

Has anyone planned a ride itinerary for DV on Friday or Saturday?
I just signed on before bedtime to ask the same question. No problemo! IIRC, I still have the routes saved in Mapsource from previous rides. Scotty's Castle, Dante's overlook, Badwater, Rhyolite, Beatty, Stovepipe Wells, Furnace Creek and hundreds of miles of roadway, plenty of scenery and MAYBE some wildflowers

Regardless of firm plans, riding with friends, new and old....Priceless! :yahoo:

============================================================================

Roy Epperson wrote:

I'm planning on leaving San Mateo (SF Bay Area) and going South through Tehachapi to Lone Pine on Thursday. The Best Western as regular rooms on Thursday night but at the moment only "suites" on Saturday.
I hope to hook up with the Sacramento gang in Lone Pine. Saturday back to Lone Pine and then home, direction depending on the weather.
Our plans are to meet at Starbucks, Latrobe Rd. in El Dorado Hills @ 0900. Ride over Hwy 50 (Emmigrant Gap) to 89-88-Gardnerville then ride 395 South to Lone Pine. If the roads are icy, we'll be going South on Hwy 99 to Delano, 155 to Lake Isabella and 178 East to 395 North.

If the Northern Sierra weather is rainy on Sunday, we'll likely return via Lake Isabella. That route is about 30 miles shorter than going over Tehachapi and I guarantee that Hwy 155 is waaaayyyyy more fun! :yahoo:

How would you/we know if the roads are icy or not before we get to them.
unsure.gif

PS - I think it's past my bed time...brain no worky no more...

unsure.gif

1.) Wait for puppychow's report because he departs earlier.

2.) CalTrans Road Conditions

3.) Listen to "news" radio in the morning. (KFBK 1530 AM)

4.) Check AccuWeather.com and compare Tahoe & Truckee forecasts, including hourly temperatures.

5.) Meet late enough in the morning that the sun has enough elevation to shine on the road surface.

Meet @ 0900, KSU @ 9:30-ish, snowline around 10-ish, summit near 1100......

I guess we'll see how well our system works and let you know when we see you. :blink:

;)

unsure.gif

I just learned this yesterday! If you go to Google and click on Google Maps, highlight and zoom in to the area you are interested in (i.e. roads, highways, interstates and freeways) and then look in the top right hand corner and click on the little icon labeled "Traffic". It'll show you the road conditions and traffic conditions. I looked yesterday in preparation for heading home from Hollywood and wanted to avoid traffic or accidents as much as possible.

I hope it works for you!

unsure.gif

I just learned this yesterday! If you go to Google and click on Google Maps, highlight and zoom in to the area you are interested in (i.e. roads, highways, interstates and freeways) and then look in the top right hand corner and click on the little icon labeled "Traffic". It'll show you the road conditions and traffic conditions. I looked yesterday in preparation for heading home from Hollywood and wanted to avoid traffic or accidents as much as possible.

I hope it works for you!
Thanks! That's a good bit of information to have.

I'd like too do the Zip-Line, but not being skinny like Fairlaner and BeemerDon, I'd hate to have the cable break!
Not to worry. If the cable sags or breaks, the crowd will cushion your fall. OR...perhaps beemerdons would be willing to offer his services and run along beneath you. :dntknw:

unsure.gif

1.) Wait for puppychow's report because he departs earlier.

I guess we'll see how well our system works and let you know when we see you. :blink:

;)
Thanks for the tips from 2) to 4). As for 1) not sure how reliable that system is - I might just chicken out and head down 99 S. I am hoping not to go that way so maybe 2) to 4) will help me decide. :)

As for checking Google Map traffic info - I don't think it works in the Tahoe region. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a tough call. Wednesday will be clear, and the road should thaw, but the riskiest sections occur just past Pollock Pines on the Union Grade down to Whitehall, and the ascending part of Luther Pass on 89. Those stretches of road get no sunlight this time of year. Most of the road we need to travel at higher elevations are built on the north side of the canyon and get pretty good drying and sunlight this time of year.

:yahoo: Well looks like solitude under the stars lost out to a warm bed and since im going to be hanging out i thought i might as well go full steam. So Im booked for Vegas wed and thurs ( not the Golden Nugget but close ) and it looks like i got the last room at Longstreet for friday night. I will have an extra bed avaliable at long street if anyone wants it. :yahoo:

Richard Ill see you and the group in Barstow. Do you have a place in mind to meet?

Its a tough call. Wednesday will be clear, and the road should thaw, but the riskiest sections occur just past Pollock Pines on the Union Grade down to Whitehall, and the ascending part of Luther Pass on 89. Those stretches of road get no sunlight this time of year. Most of the road we need to travel at higher elevations are built on the north side of the canyon and get pretty good drying and sunlight this time of year.
Hopefully we will be late enough in the morning it will be safe.

The alternative is to meet in Elk Grove and ride South. We have time to decide.

:yahoo: Well looks like solitude under the stars lost out to a warm bed and since im going to be hanging out i thought i might as well go full steam. So Im booked for Vegas wed and thurs ( not the Golden Nugget but close ) and it looks like i got the last room at Longstreet for friday night. I will have an extra bed avaliable at long street if anyone wants it. :yahoo:

Richard Ill see you and the group in Barstow. Do you have a place in mind to meet?
we are meeting at our usual McDonalds at 15 and 138, we will get gas there and then again in Baker, I suggest you call me wednesday morning (3108509560) and i will let you know how we are doing. we plan on meeting Ryan and Jeanette at the Hacienda (by the Dam) between noon and 12.30 so we will be rolling along in our usual pace....... :rolleyes:

R

That silver Goldwing (Hondapotamus) sure is purdy. I saw it on Facebook. After seeing some guy riding the Dragon on a Wing blowing the doors off of anyone coming near him, I'm convinced Richard will be a force to be reckoned with on one also. For being such a large heavy behemoth, they can corner quite well.

If the wife would ride I would buy one also.

Richard, At your earliest convenience: Please amend your attendees list on the 1st post to include Phil and Charlene - Mr. and Mrs. weluvbikn, Roy Epperson and Roy's BMW Buddy who's joining him.

NOTE: If you're coming to Death Valley Wildflower Ride in a week and don't see your name below, kindly let Chuy know at either 480-440-4666 [email protected]

TWO UP:

Mr. and Mrs. weluvbikn - Phil and Charlene

Mr. and Mrs. skuehl

BeemerDonS and Miss Donna

Mr. and Mrs. bluestreek

Mr. and Mrs. Wolfhound

Ryan and Jeanette FJRK

Mr. and Mrs. John Dumke

Mr. and Mrs. BearTrax - Barry and Marla

marcusorelius and Duke - The Wonder Dog

LONE WOLVES:

Roy Epperson

Roy Epperson's BMW Buddy

MEM - Maria Elena "La Chica Canadiense muy Bonita!"

Henry Garza - "Enrique" es mi Sobrino (my Nephew!)

TominCA

ScooterActivist

Old Michael

Bokerfork

Fairlaner

MadMike2

puppychow

Nightshine

FJRK

Big-D

Cibrd0wn

jorstin

NOTE TO ZONIES: An FJR group will be departing from the corner of Alma School and Queen Creek Roads in Chandler at 0730. We pick up a group of BMW riders at the McDonald's in Wickenburg at 0900. Then meet another FJR / BMW group at El Palacio Mexican Restaurant in Kingman at 1100 hours, then we all roll into Vegas.

https://www.serranoent.com/kingman.htm El Palacio is on the corner of Andy Devine Blvd. and 4th St. on Historic Route 66 in Kingman. La Comida es muy delicioso!

latest from the las vegas daily news,fairlainer reported to be in vegas on wensday and thursday.sudden run on single dollar bills hoping to avoid the shortage created by his last visit.as a side note olympic gardens gentlemans club busing in extra dancers and cases of southern comfort.wtf over.

latest from the las vegas daily news,fairlainer reported to be in vegas on wensday and thursday.sudden run on single dollar bills hoping to avoid the shortage created by his last visit.as a side note olympic gardens gentlemans club busing in extra dancers and cases of southern comfort.wtf over.
His reputation precedes him....er...not that he HAS a reputation.... :dribble:

;)

https://lasvegasshowscalendar.com/calendar/las-vegas-shows-03-10-2011.htm Here are the 69 shows playing in Las Vegas on Thursday night 3/10. Old Michael, Mary Ellen and Bokerfork may be interested in this one: Chippendale's performing at Club Rio LV! https://www.lasvegasshowscalendar.com/shows/Chippendales.html
Howz this for a plan:

I use the $50 ticket price to buy you, Fairlaner, Big-D (et al) a couple of drinks and YOU dance for me (since OM and Bokerfork won't be in Vegas)? :D

:clapping:

ps - if I can't get over the frozen roads to the airport tomorrow, it'll be a moot point :blink:

https://lasvegasshowscalendar.com/calendar/las-vegas-shows-03-10-2011.htm Here are the 69 shows playing in Las Vegas on Thursday night 3/10. Old Michael, Mary Ellen and Bokerfork may be interested in this one: Chippendale's performing at Club Rio LV! https://www.lasvegasshowscalendar.com/shows/Chippendales.html
Howz this for a plan:

I use the $50 ticket price to buy you, Fairlaner, Big-D (et al) a couple of drinks and YOU dance for me (since OM and Bokerfork won't be in Vegas)? :D

:clapping:

ps - if I can't get over the frozen roads to the airport tomorrow, it'll be a moot point :blink:
I have already got this one covered for you babycakes, Papa Chuy Viejo has already packed his tangerine man thong!

Frozen roads? I can't believe you Canadian folks live in that frigid wasteland! Can you ride a snowmobile to the airport?

PS to MEM: I sent a PM to dj bill to make sure he packs his sausage sling for his dance for you! You are Welcome!!