PHID Lamps - GROUP BUY

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it too late to round out the GB to an even 50 sets? :unsure:
I dunno... email Bill McAvan and beg..... :D

His email address: [email protected]
Tell him you'll pay for one of the sets ordered by one of the twenty fuckin' deadbeats that are holding this thing up for all of us. Then ask him to set a deadline for payments, hopefully soon, and anybody who hasn't paid up by then is left out. Over thirty have already been paid for, so we get the best price anyway. This isn't an adult day care center, fercryinoutloud! It's starting to look like I may not be sporting a set of these in time for WFO! WTF?!

+1 to toecutter's comments--time to pay for the friggin' things, people! Warchild, and anyone else who posted this group buy info in other forums, could you please go back there and leave a nagging reminder to pay? This ended almost two weeks ago, and twenty people have as yet to pay. The money has left my account, I want my friggin' lights!

From the group buy page:

[SIZE=12pt]May 12 update:[/SIZE]

Folks:

If you order number ends with one of the following numbers, your payment has arrived. The order was placed from the supplier on 05/12/06.

Sweet! All the deadbeats got left out and won't be holding us up any more. I (and 38 other people) get my Eyes of God, I get my Eyes of God, I get my Eyes of God! :clapping: :D :clapping: :yahoo: :D :yahoo:

These are "The Sheet", If I had any extra cash I'd get a second set for my truck!
So, for those of you running these already, how long from switch-on until good usable brightness, if not full?

I notice my HID headlights take about five seconds to heat up.

Or should another thread be started for tech questions and install issues? I'm gonna have issues. It's how I roll.

Last edited by a moderator:
The behavior is quite similar to your HID headlights.

When they are cold, the first time you fire off the PHIDs, yes, it's a good 5-7 seconds to maximum lumen output.

After they are warmed-up, reaching full brightness is significantly shorter, on the order of 2-3 seconds, tops.

At least, this is how my PHIDs have worked for the past 2 1/2 years now...

The behavior is quite similar to your HID headlights.
When they are cold, the first time you fire off the PHIDs, yes, it's a good 5-7 seconds to maximum lumen output.

After they are warmed-up, reaching full brightness is significantly shorter, on the order of 2-3 seconds, tops.

At least, this is how my PHIDs have worked for the past 2 1/2 years now...

+1

Fun to watch the voltmeter dip, then rise.

Ok, so I am entertained easily.

Hello, ...I was just wondering if anyone has received their PHIDs from the group buy yet? -Jon

Hello, ...I was just wondering if anyone has received their PHIDs from the group buy yet? -Jon
From the group buy page:

Current lead time from the time the group order is placed to shipment is a minimum of 45 days. The order was placed from the supplier on 05/12/06.
So, looks like about June 26th before we see the light(s), right after the days start getting shorter (for all those without PHID's). :p

I think these are going to be great! Just got the mirror mounts a few days ago from FJRGoodies.com

I think that I may just go with the Stock headlights and the PHID's. I may wait for all of this Stator stuff to get ironed out before I do the headlights. What are all of the rest of you guys going to do with your setup?

Dan

I think that I may just go with the Stock headlights and the PHID's. I may wait for all of this Stator stuff to get ironed out before I do the headlights. What are all of the rest of you guys going to do with your setup?
Are you planning to do something to the headlights that will make them use more power than stock? Or maybe hoping to use an upgraded stator and leave the stock power-hungry headlights in place? Otherwise, why wait for the stator issue before messing with the headlights?

I've already added the BiXenon H4 HID kit, which runs 50 watts less than the stock low beams. With the PHID's on, the bike is still consuming almost 80 watts less than with stock high beams. Plenty of extra power to supply an electric vest for the lovely but metabolically challenged Eve. I'm gonna put mine on ASAP! I just need to source the right switch, one that hopefully fits into the the little opening on the front side of the housing that holds the high beam and windscreen switches. It's the perfect spot for the kill lights switch!

Sunshine, in the nighttime, looks so lovely...RIP, John

I've already added the BiXenon H4 HID kit, which runs 50 watts less than the stock low beams. With the PHID's on, the bike is still consuming almost 80 watts less than with stock high beams.
Er, no, this is incorrect.

Stock low-beams are two lamps x 55-watts/lamp = 110 watts.

H4 HID = is 2 lamps x 42-watts/lamp = 84 watts, thus, a savings of 26-watts over stock halogen low-beam.

Which is enough to run a set of heated grips on medium stting, or a Widder vest at about 60%-70% power (assuming one is using a electronic controller here).

Now for aux lights, the identical math holds true.... two PHIDs consume 84 watts when activated/warmed up, vice 110-watts a typical twin 55-watt H3 aux lamp setup (such as the PIAA 910 or Hella FF50.)

Bottom line: if HIDs are installed all around (both headlamp housing and as aux lamps), you're saving a substantial 52-watts over the equivalent halogen setup (all while obtaining ~ 3X increase in lumen output). This *combination* is what makes the HIDs so attractive, and why they are so spendy.

But as I always maintain.... they are not as spendy as a single deer-strike incident. Trust me, BTDT, believe what I say. :(

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was using some info you provided earlier on the HID numbers:

The HID setup - both bulbs together - consume only 70-watts after startup
along with my assumption that the stock H4 bulbs, rated at 60/55 watts, meant that they were using 60 each on low beam and 55 each on high. That's how the numbers got skewed.

Where is the best place to get ahold of the BiXenon H4 HID kit? I saw it once on the board here but I cant find it now.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was using some info you provided earlier on the HID numbers:
The HID setup - both bulbs together - consume only 70-watts after startup
The bulbs consume 35-watts each (thus 70-watts for the pair)... but each ballast also consumes ~ 7-watts (after the bulb is ignited and warmed up). So... ~ 42-watts per lamp setup.

YES --- got my lights today -- nice box on the front step when I got home. --
What!? If those damn things show up around here today, while I'm at work and can't quietly intercept them, I'm gonna have some splainin' to do. I was counting on that 45 day lead time. Don't even have the brackets ordered yet.

YES --- got my lights today -- nice box on the front step when I got home. --
What!? If those damn things show up around here today, while I'm at work and can't quietly intercept them, I'm gonna have some splainin' to do. I was counting on that 45 day lead time. Don't even have the brackets ordered yet.

It's a safety thing!

She wouldn't want you to hit a dog or deer or nuttin! :D

YOU gotta figure out how to explain why those little lights cost as much as they do... :dntknw:

Mary

YOU gotta figure out how to explain why those little lights cost as much as they do... :dntknw:
That will be easy. "It's so I can still see AND you can have heated clothing, once I upgrade the alternator, of course....

It's just that the timing is bad for large M/C related purchases. Damned group buys always seem to come along when I least want them.