New Years Day Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeebus. I thought FJR riders were tough. :p

There is one son-of-a-bitch Californian who crashes into elk, breaks bones and goes big miles for fun -- all on the same ride. I don't want to mess with him. The rest of ya Kali rain-averse wusses seem like whiny girls in little-girl underwear.

Said with love,

SPU.

[SIZE=10pt]and some call me whiny? [/SIZE]

Nope..can't make it..not going to happen:Tyler, The unforgettable :cray:

Barb, The One and Only :cry:

MEM, Mary Ellen [SIZE=8pt]will say it's too far.[/SIZE] :(

Silver Penguin, Jill & Andy [SIZE=8pt]Will claim she has to work.[/SIZE] :rolleyes:

Sacramento Mike :(

Dr. Rich? [SIZE=8pt](But, at his advancing age, he may not be recovered from all the birthday, christmas and new years partys)[/SIZE] :eek:

WheatonFJR [SIZE=8pt]Wussie![/SIZE] :D
Awwwwwe, how sweet Mikey. What do ya want? [SIZE=8pt](and yes, that is purely rhetorical :p )[/SIZE]

From NOAA -

Rain everywhere....
Yes, but when I checked AccuWeather.com and used their hour-by-hour forecast it wasn't "constant".

Everyone will have to make up their own minds. I'll be bringing the rain liners for my gear.

Will we stop for Ice Cream? :yahoo: :yahoo:
Er....maybe for hot chocolate. ;)
Once I get decent rain gear and protection, I wouldn't worry about rain so much, but as of right now I ain't water proof and neither are the gadgets on my bike :(

I will have to play this by ear - the meetup in Auburn is at 10-10:30AM, if it doesn't look too bad, I might just stop by to say hello at the very least and then make up my mind on riding the rest of the day. If it is raining when I am supposed to start my ride - then it is probably not going to happen.

I apologize, I was looking forward to meeting you guys - there is always the Culture run Jan 17th.

Sam

From NOAA -

Rain everywhere....
Yes, but when I checked AccuWeather.com and used their hour-by-hour forecast it wasn't "constant".

Everyone will have to make up their own minds. I'll be bringing the rain liners for my gear.

Will we stop for Ice Cream? :yahoo: :yahoo:
Er....maybe for hot chocolate. ;)
Once I get decent rain gear and protection, I wouldn't worry about rain so much, but as of right now I ain't water proof and neither are the gadgets on my bike :(

I will have to play this by ear - the meetup in Auburn is at 10-10:30AM, if it doesn't look too bad, I might just stop by to say hello at the very least and then make up my mind on riding the rest of the day. If it is raining when I am supposed to start my ride - then it is probably not going to happen.

I apologize, I was looking forward to meeting you guys - there is always the Culture run Jan 17th.

Sam

Same here...(plus I just washed the bike) :rolleyes:

Domenic

Awwwwwe, how sweet Mikey. What do ya want? [SIZE=8pt](and yes, that is purely rhetorical :p )[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]I don't want anything....welllll....maybe I do but I'm not "going public". :dribble: [/SIZE]

I'm just trying to get the "sweet and nice" stuff used up by midnight tonight so I can return to my curmudgeonly self!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sam, Dom and others,

I completely understand if anyone doesn't make it. I just living up to my title: "Shtirrenuppenmeister". There's always the next ride...and the next...and the next....

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think we will make this ride.It's not that we can't ride in the rain. We just don't care to.

You all be careful out there and we will see you on the next ride.

Link to RADAR loop of current weather conditions to guide your decisions:

Weather Radar for Region

Lookin' wet per the other forecasts, but one is saying it's only 50% chance. I'm up for riding in the rain to get somewhere or on vacation, etc. As for raining on a local pleasure ride? Hmmmm -- not nearly as much pleasure, but we'll see what develops tomorrow.

Lookin' wet per the other forecasts, but one is saying it's only 50% chance. I'm up for riding in the rain to get somewhere or on vacation, etc. As for raining on a local pleasure ride? Hmmmm -- not nearly as much pleasure, but we'll see what develops tomorrow.
I agree, Rich. It appears that places farther North will have steady rain (Marysville and Grass Valley) so those living there will likely not venture out (Bluestreek, FJRob, Bugnatr, Jrews, et al).

I'm still planning to ride. It may be to breakfast and back or maybe something along the Delta or in the foothills from Auburn to Placerville....if the weather looks like it will cooperate with my idea.

For example....

Georgetown:

High: 51 °F RealFeel®: 48 °F

Considerable cloudiness with a touch of rain

Placerville:

High: 53 °F RealFeel®: 52 °F

Cloudy with a little rain

Walnut Grove/Rio Vista:

High: 54 °F RealFeel®: 48 °F

Areas of fog in the morning; cloudy with a bit of rain

We really won't know until tomorrow morning. Uhm...Hot Chocolate at Starbucks in Auburn?

Mike, Jan and I are out (not so much because of the rain - We have rain gear), but Jan has a bad cold. We look forward to the next ride. Have fun, and be safe!!

John

Mike,

Would love to make this ride, but darn.... my FJR is in pieces as I find all the parts that I DON'T have to complete my AVCC install. Hope the forecast improves for you guys and hoist a Grande Non-Fat double shot No whip Mocha for me will ya? Now it's back out to the garage with beer in hand to stare the cruise control into submission.

Man O man, this thread looks like Tiger and his sponsors....

So let's see, I'm an uncertain for tomorrow because I might be up late and will need my beauty sleep. I also don't like pleasure riding in the rain. Somehow rain riding isn't ever that pleasurable for me. Also, I'm makin' progress on my latest painting (Farm Workers, Gonzales, Calif., 24" x 36",an idea I got seeing farm workers during the ride to camping down at SLO couple years ago). And I'm eager to keep working on it....

4232013513_62fd416708.jpg

If'n you don't see me, presume it ain't 'cause I crashed or my clutch gave out. But I'm missin' MadMike and other friends....

Jb

So let's see, I'm an uncertain for tomorrow because I might be up late and will need my beauty sleep. I also don't like pleasure riding in the rain. Somehow rain riding isn't ever that pleasurable for me. Also, I'm makin' progress on my latest painting (Farm Workers, Gonzales, Calif., 24" x 36",an idea I got seeing farm workers during the ride to camping down at SLO couple years ago). And I'm eager to keep working on it....

If'n you don't see me, presume it ain't 'cause I crashed or my clutch gave out. But I'm missin' MadMike and other friends....

Jb
Wow! Nice work.

Jb
Nice job JB, but if'n I had some better Photoshop skills, I'd put a few dirt bikes tearing up the hills above the fieldworkers. BTW, where's the Cal-OSHA required eye wash stations, porta potty, snack bar, foot massage, espresso bar, etc... After all this IS Commiefornia!

I agree, Rich. It appears that places farther North will have steady rain (Marysville and Grass Valley) so those living there will likely not venture out (Bluestreek, FJRob, Bugnatr, Jrews, et al).
I'm still planning to ride. It may be to breakfast and back or maybe something along the Delta or in the foothills from Auburn to Placerville....if the weather looks like it will cooperate with my idea.

For example....

Georgetown:

Placerville:

Walnut Grove/Rio Vista:

We really won't know until tomorrow morning. Uhm...Hot Chocolate at Starbucks in Auburn?

Mike; I'd love to ride with you tomorrow, But We are looking at a -35 deg forecast for tomorrow, with high wind chills,,,,,,,, If I see one more picture of You guy's frolicking in the sunshine..... I'm gonna go Postal.

Like do you guy's enjoy torturing the rest of us peasents........ ( I used to like you Mike) :cold:

For example....

Georgetown:

Placerville:

Walnut Grove/Rio Vista:

Mike; I'd love to ride with you tomorrow, But We are looking at a -35 deg forecast for tomorrow, with high wind chills,,,,,,,, If I see one more picture of You guy's frolicking in the sunshine..... I'm gonna go Postal.

Like do you guy's enjoy torturing the rest of us peasents........ ( I used to like you Mike) :cold:
well, you coulda parked a bike out here, j'es sayin' ;)

Frolicking????

Are Barb, Ty and MEM coming along?

Well.....yes, actually! :yahoo:

Er...I was in YOUR beautiful area last year (IIRC, you are "just" over the hill from Banff). Of course, it wasn't in Winter!

[SIZE=8pt]While admiring and enjoying the lovely scenery I did try to imagine the view with 20 ft of snow!??!?[/SIZE]

well, you coulda parked a bike out here, j'es sayin' ;)
Okay.

barb.

2 A.M.

New Year's Eve/morning.

That is the WEAKEST drunk post I've EVER seen.

So has this thing been called off?
Not yet! I'll be heading out to Brookfields in an hour, or so, if only to say I DID IT!

I really think it's going to shower a bit but not be terribly bad if we stay South of Auburn. We'll play it by ear once we meet Rich and the others @ Starbucks.

The weather satellite loop looks like we're going to get a break around 0900. I know it's raining above Auburn so those in Grass Valley and Marysville aren't likely participants. I haven't heard from everyone but I've modified the list from what information and supposition I have.

I know bluestreeks aren't coming and I'm guessing Bugnatr and FJRob as the same, gfran is in for breakfast and then he'll decide, as are puppychow and exskibum from the Auburn meet point. A couple of folks have illnesses.

So far:

List of Participants:

Bluestreeks-Steve & Cyndy [SIZE=8pt](Weather-1/FJR Owner-0)[/SIZE]

Bugnatr [SIZE=8pt]I'm guessing:(Weather-1/FJR Owner-0)[/SIZE]

Dave Migliore-Dave

exskibums-Rich & Judy

feejers-Al & Lisa

FJRobs-Rob & Terri [SIZE=8pt]I'm guessing:(Weather-1/FJR Owner-0)[/SIZE]

FlyingJunior-Walt (Judy-breakfast only)

gfran-Gary (Cyndi-breakfast only)

HuskyRider-Dom-No Terrie? [SIZE=8pt](Not if it's raining.)[/SIZE]

Hycles-Mike & Terri

James Burleigh-Hans[SIZE=8pt]I'm guessing:(Weather-1/FJR Owner-0)[/SIZE]

JREWs-John & Jan [SIZE=8pt](A cold caught Jan)[/SIZE]

madmike2-his own self

Old Michael--[SIZE=8pt]maybe-possibly-not sure yet[/SIZE]

puppychow-Sam [SIZE=8pt]I'm guessing:(Weather-1/FJR Owner-0)[/SIZE]

Rogdebs-Roger & Debs [SIZE=8pt](A cold caught Debs.)[/SIZE]

SilveradoSlicks-Charles & Catherine [SIZE=8pt](Weather-1/FJR Owner-0)[/SIZE]

weekend rider-Bob

Maybe:

jwhite518

Who else?

Nope..can't make it..not going to happen:

Tyler, The unforgettable :cray:

Barb, The One and Only :cry:

MEM, Mary Ellen [SIZE=8pt]will say it's too far.[/SIZE] :(

Bearly Flying: [SIZE=8pt]it's too cold[/SIZE] :eek:

Silver Penguin, Jill & Andy [SIZE=8pt]Will claim she has to work.[/SIZE] :rolleyes:

Sacramento Mike :(

Dr. Rich? [SIZE=8pt](But, at his advancing age, he may not be recovered from all the birthday, christmas and new years partys)[/SIZE] :eek:

WheatonFJR [SIZE=8pt]Wussie![/SIZE] :D

Everything's wet here in Auburn and it's raining lightly. Deep gray skies. The weather radar shows a band of rain continuing in our direction. Hourly weather forecasts show rain showers on and off all day, and I can't really say from that how far south looks like it might take to get out of the rain.

So, it looks like high 40s (F), 7 or 8 mph breezes making it feel a little cooler, with probabilities of more wetness from the skies diminishing after noon. What seems a certainty is wet roads all day.

Judy's still in bed and unenthusiastic about riding today, and I should be sympathetic of that since she doesn't have a rain suit. (Mike, you'll remember that half the rainsuit she did have went overboard somewhere between Glacier Nat'l Park and Helena on that REALLY windy stretch after we got soaked that morning, and the remainder got ditched while packing the next morning.)